viewing .jpg's sent from snapshot

viewing snapshot emails

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Peek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All. I can't view images sent from my security cameras snapshot that's sent to me via email. If I open in internet explorer then I get a box with black background and white X in the middle. I really need to view these images now but no luck. Does anyone else have this issue?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All. I can't view images sent from my security cameras snapshot that's sent to me via email. If I open in internet explorer then I get a box with black background and white X in the middle. I really need to view these images now but no luck. Does anyone else have this issue?
What is the file extension sent by the cam? (is it '.JPG'?)
What is your operating system ?
What is the default .JPG file viewer ?

Peek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tony R the file is .jpg.
The operating system is Windows 7.
The file automatically opens in IE but my default viewer for my OS is Windows Photo Viewer but doesn't open in any other program either. It should at least open in Photoshop and doesn't.
\
If I try to open in other programs sometimes I get an X in that program and in some I get error: "The format is currently not supported"
I've worked in IT for over 35 years and know the in's and out's of OS's, programming and design using .jpg's so that's not the issue. I remember getting this error with another camera back when but don't remember what the resolution was.

I just double checked and this camera is an Escam and not my Foscam... I'm thinking I need some special add-on for IE or something??

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The file automatically opens in IE but my default viewer for my OS is Windows Photo Viewer
Something is amiss. if the default viewer is supposed to be WPV and you double-click on the .jpg then IE should not even launch.

I understand you've "....worked in IT for over 35 years" but I have to ask...when you go to 'Control Panel', 'Default Programs', 'Associate a file type or protocol with a program' and you scroll down to 'jpeg' and 'jpg', what program is listed to open those file extensions?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just an FYI....

I can open my 'My Pictures' folder, right-click on a .JPG file, cursor-down to 'Open With' and in the popup, select any of those shown and they will open that .JPG file. My default image viewer/editor, however, is the old-as-dirt Paint Shop Pro 5.

right_click.jpg

Peek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tony I can’t open just these .jpg’s. from the snapshot in any program at all. I can open the snapshots from all of my other cameras but the Escam Qd900. I also have a Dericam and Wanscam. The snapshots from the other cameras are emailed to me just the same as the snapshots from the Escam. If I try to open with Paint I get the error “Paint can’t read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported.”

I’ve tried renaming the files to a shorter file name. I’ve tried resetting the camera to default and reconfiguring. I don’t know what else to try but wonder if there are others with the same issue.

Peek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm still having a hard time opening the files sent from the Escam security camera. It's too bad because this is a decent camera. I can open the files once in a great while but mostly not. I'm wondering why some open and others don't but really need to view theses files. I tried opening from my Microsoft Outlook inbox but see the error right away. If I follow the instructions and try to open with default program (IE) I get a box with black background and white X in the middle. I also tried to open with Photoshop. I am attaching 3 screenshots to show you what I am seeing. Please let me know if you need anything else from me.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Peek ,
If you don't care, PM / Personal Message me ("Start a conversation", above right) one of your JPG's that does NOT open and one that DOES open. I'd like to examine the headers.

Peek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tony I will send you some. I can’t find any that I could view. I went through my email and purged all of the emails from the cameras just days before I saw this. I’m so sorry for the late reply. Tomorrow I’ll go through n really look to see if I can find anything. I am wondering if maybe my email provider blocks them because the file names are like a mile long??

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am wondering if maybe my email provider blocks them because the file names are like a mile long??
Could be. If there was no warning at the time that the filename exceeded the 260 character limit and it was saved that way, it could be an issue. I don't think Linux has that problem so possibly it was saved on a Linux system or a Windows system with a modified registry to ignore that limitation....who knows.

What happened when you renamed or tried to rename one to a shorter filename?