Viewing Station - Best with UI3 or direct RTSP feed?

NTL1991

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've finished setting up a new system at my grandparents place with 4x 5MP Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW PoE cameras, an 8-port PoE switch and an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 w/ i5-4590 & 8GB RAM.

After optimizing the system a bit, enabling sub-streams, tweaking FPS, and so on, I'm running into some problems.

We have a couple issues. My grandparents want a viewing station where they can quickly look and see what's going on outside without having to grab the iPad and open the app. Also, my parents want one at their home to have eyes on the house. Both want the display as crisp as possible. That has forced me to alter Streaming Profiles to allow for better scaling, higher bitrate, etc, which of course, has increased processing requirements.

For the grandparents on the their local network, I have a Lenovo IdeaCentre B540 23" touch PC (Core i3, 4GB RAM) that I scored from Savers for $25. I would like to use it as their "Viewing Station", but a 24/7 stream though UI3 (at the settings they'd like) would cause CPU utilization to go through the roof. Am I better off using something like VLC to pull the RTSP feed from the 4 cameras directly, bypassing the BI server?

Same question for my parents at their home. I would like to set up a second monitor on their desktop for the cameras. If I set up a VPN tunnel (or port-forward the cameras through the internet, which I'd rather not do), I'd have a local link to the RTSP feed from the 4 cameras and would again bypass the BI server for a 24/7 live view. Alerts and clip viewing would have to be done through UI3, however.

I really wish there was a way to configure the live view of UI3 to use a direct RTSP feed from the cameras (eliminating the processing burden) while also allowing for clip and alert viewing through the same interface - it would be perfect for my situation.

Any suggestions on the topic?

Reaction score
We use UI3 on a 12” RCA Win10 tablet. Nine cameras. I did buy a 5Ghz USB adapter and am using WiFi to receive the signal. It is sitting on a book stand next to our couch.

7D34122E-7165-4C68-A9FD-75FE2E51418F.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
@NTL1991 Do you only have one camera at each of these locations? Because if you have multiple cameras and they are watching them in grid view, then having them display anything other than the substream is a waste of resources since the "grid view boxes" are so small. Honestly, I can't tell the substream from the 4MP stream when it grid view with my cameras because of the amount of cameras I have in grid view showing.

If you want full 100% unprocessed video, then you need to connect directly to the cameras and bypass BI. Though, if they were my grandparents or parents, I'd tell them that the BI stream is the best I can do.

Last edited: