Vinnie look here, the worlds biggest worm!

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I killed all my chickens because they destroyed about $3k in gardens/landscaping!

you down in FL BRF?

Guess I could have clicked on your name, I thought that looked like a Sago at the end of your driveway!

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Several years ago I threw excess cooked spaghetti out back and the crows found it. It was hilarious! One grabbed a piece and yanked it and about 10 more came with it, you'd think he'd been attacked by a bunch of white snakes, he jumped about 3 feet straight up. He came back down on a pile of it and because they were starchy several stuck to his feet and it was game on...his crow friends took off in a rush. My wife and I still think about it and laugh, we imagine he exaggerated a bit telling his crow friends that night about his harrowing experience and how he almost met his demise by the "great white snakes" and how "his life flashed before his eyes" and "they had me by the leg but I somehow escaped", etc. :lmao:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As much as I hate snakes I do my best to just shoo those away. Even so much as cutting them out of the worthless bird netting in the barn when they get caught in it.
I commend you for that, even though you say you hate them.

I get soooo annoyed by some of the local, "grown-ass" men that were born and raised here in the South that go out of their way to kill non-poisonous snakes because they're too lazy to try and know enough to be able to identify them. Hell, there's so few here that are poisonous compared to non-poisonous it would be very easy but all their lives they have been hearing and repeating that "the only good snake is a dead snake" bullshit they heard their equally uninformed grand-daddy or daddy spew.

I'm not a snake expert, snake handler, snake nut, etc. but I like to think they have a purpose just as much as I do and unless it's poisonous AND near my house I leave it alone and it leaves me alone. I turned 75 this past week and that outlook with snakes and critters in general has served me well.

FWIW, my "snake" post summer of '23:

Last edited:

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good sized black rat!
Yes, he (she? I didn't check!) is a typical one I see around our barns... but have seen some 2 ft longer. As big as they get, they no longer keep the copperheads at bay, per folklore. After cutting into a copperhead den with my big brushcutter, I can see what the black snakes don't mess with Copperheads. :eek:

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I get soooo annoyed by some of the local, "grown-ass" men that were born and raised here in the South that go out of their way to kill non-poisonous snakes because they're too lazy to try and know enough to be able to identify them. Hell, there's so few here that are poisonous compared to non-poisonous it would be very easy but all their lives they have been hearing and repeating that "the only good snake is a dead snake" bullshit they heard their equally uninformed grand-daddy or daddy spew.

I'm not a snake expert, snake handler, snake nut, etc. but I like to think they have a purpose just as much as I do and unless it's poisonous AND near my house I leave it alone and it leaves me alone. I turned 75 this past week and that outlook with snakes and critters in general has served me well.

FWIW, my "snake" post summer of '23:

I agree 100% & go out of my way not to harm snakes. Living on a farm, and taking care of a lot of rural client properties, I know snakes are an essential part of the ecosystem. Only snakes I've had sometimes had problems with are copperheads. I leave them be whenever possible, but sometimes they get close to the house and show their a$$es, so to speak. Their motto is bite first, ask permission later. I can usually persuade them to move along, but sometimes they just don't get the message until I "make the point". I spent 30 min untangling a helpless black rat snake that chased a mouse into one of our barns, got tangled up in bird netting. Took scissors and a pocket knife, and precision trimming to finally cut him free. He was so exhausted from struggling, he didn't even attempt to bite or "skunk" me. Once free of the netting, carried him out to pasture, set him loose. He looked at me as if you really aren't just going to let me go are ya, then slithered on off into tall grass. I accidentally ran over a Garter snake while mowing. Had a pretty nasty cut on his back. Took a few weeks, but nursed back to health. Almost became a pet.. interesting how they have personalities, all different. Working on an old log cabin, one of the workers (BIG tough guy) uncovered a nest of Ring Neck snakes. I heard him shriek like a school girl around the house. I laughed my butt off when I saw what he was so terrified of... a few little ring neck snakes, not much bigger than night crawlers. Good grief.

Some places where I work have Timber Rattlers. I leave them alone too. They can be very aggressive if cornered (what animal isn't?); but generally they just want to get away. I'm not about to handle them, and have never had one get close to a dwelling, or even our barn. Sadly, I see them run over in the roads too often. Stopped once to get a large black snake out of the road, early morning. As I was about to move the cold snake to safety, some idiot in a truck swerved over right in front of me, nearly hitting me (caught corner of my jacket). He ran over the black snake, flipped me off, & sped off. He was lucky I wasn't carrying, otherwise would've been digging a hole to bury his chickensh*t a$$.

Here area couple of Rattlers I ran into while working for a mountain top client. The male was 6ft, female 5.5 ft. Neither rattled at me, or acted aggressively. I left them alone, but most construction workers will kill any snake on sight. Guess they'd rather have rats & diseases they bring. My helper the day I spotted these rattlers ran back to the truck, wouldn't come out. Told him come on, snakes cannot fly. Not going to bother you. His response was how do you know? Finished the job alone.

Attachments