Viofo 229 reboots when vehicle does auto restarts at traffic lights

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First, I have used Viofos for several years and like them a lot. I just got a new Toyota Tundra and a Viofo A229 duo and it works just as well as the Viofos I have had in the past. The new truck also has that auto shutdown/restart feature that we have all come to know and hate. Problem is just as the subject line says... every time I stop at a light if I allow the auto shutdown to occur (can manage that somewhat with pressure on the brake pedal) the dash cam reboots when the engine starts. Meanwhile the vehicle's audio continues seamlessly without any hiccups. I am guessing that the momentary drop in voltage and with this cam using an internal capacitor and not a battery, the voltage must momentarily go below the minimum. Is there a solution for this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First, I have used Viofos for several years and like them a lot. I just got a new Toyota Tundra and a Viofo A229 duo and it works just as well as the Viofos I have had in the past. The new truck also has that auto shutdown/restart feature that we have all come to know and hate. Problem is just as the subject line says... every time I stop at a light if I allow the auto shutdown to occur (can manage that somewhat with pressure on the brake pedal) the dash cam reboots when the engine starts. Meanwhile the vehicle's audio continues seamlessly without any hiccups. I am guessing that the momentary drop in voltage and with this cam using an internal capacitor and not a battery, the voltage must momentarily go below the minimum. Is there a solution for this?
You likely connected to a fuse that shuts off during the auto stop. You need a fuse that continues to supply power during the stop. Id try a different fuse.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, it is connected up to the factory dash cam plug in the overhead. The camera stays on while the engine is stopped. It reboots during the restart.

You likely connected to a fuse that shuts off during the auto stop. You need a fuse that continues to supply power during the stop. Id try a different fuse.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No, it is connected up to the factory dash cam plug in the overhead. The camera stays on while the engine is stopped. It reboots during the restart.
Is that plug designed for a factory dash cam?

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. But to make it work we get an adapter from Dongar that has a male plug that fits into that factory female plug and includes a +5V power supply. I just got a response from the vendor and they say that these cams need both switched and constant +12v (gets converted to 5V in their included hardwire kit power supply) even if you aren't going to use parking mode. I don't believe that this adapter has the constant. So, I may have to go back and get the hardwire kit after all. Too bad because this was such a neat installation. Although first I am going to reach out to Dongar and see if they make one that pushes both... if that is even available in that factory female plug. Or I can just live with it. I can prevent the auto stop/start by not mashing the brake down so I can hold a stop and not get the stop/start.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I suspect the voltage drops enough during the process of restarting the engine that it causes the dashcam to reboot due to low voltage. Having a constant power source in addition to the ignition power source probably prevents this low voltage scenario. As suggested, I think you are going to have to find another power source.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. But to make it work we get an adapter from Dongar that has a male plug that fits into that factory female plug and includes a +5V power supply. I just got a response from the vendor and they say that these cams need both switched and constant +12v (gets converted to 5V in their included hardwire kit power supply) even if you aren't going to use parking mode. I don't believe that this adapter has the constant. So, I may have to go back and get the hardwire kit after all. Too bad because this was such a neat installation. Although first I am going to reach out to Dongar and see if they make one that pushes both... if that is even available in that factory female plug. Or I can just live with it. I can prevent the auto stop/start by not mashing the brake down so I can hold a stop and not get the stop/start.
I would not rely on preventing the auto stop with your foot because the one time you're not going to do it you're going to need the video.... There is a company out there that sells auto start stop override kits but I don't know if they make one for your truck.... I would just run the hardwired kit

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I have seen those override kits. I am not going to do that, if only because the stupid light would be on all the time. I could always just push the override button at startup. But you might be surprised how easy it is to modulate the brake to avoid the stop/start. It surprised me. But I just ordered the hardwire kit. It is really a simple thing to install.

I would not rely on preventing the auto stop with your foot because the one time you're not going to do it you're going to need the video.... There is a company out there that sells auto start stop override kits but I don't know if they make one for your truck.... I would just run the hardwired kit

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've developed this habit with my 2018 F-150 and I don't deviate from it. It's so automatic by now I don't even know I've done it sometimes:
  • Stick the key in the ignition
  • Start the truck
  • Push the dash button to disable the Auto Stop feature
  • Drive the truck
I don't put the truck in gear until I have disabled the Auto Stop.
Plugged into the truck's 12VDC jack with a 5VDC USB converter, my dash cam comes on when I start the truck and turns off 15 minutes after I turn the truck off.

Works for me ! :cool: