Virtual COM Port

kylen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a ptz controller that I am trying to hook up to my BI computer. The controller uses rs-485 signal to communicate the protocols. This would be fine, as BI has an option to change the ptz controls to a specified COM port device. However, my computer does not have a standard COM port, So I got a rs-485 -> USB Cord. One end has the rs-485 data connects, the other is USB into my BI machine. I installed the driver software for my machine and the computer device manager reports the device is installed successfully and is working properly. I went into my camera's settings and set the ptz protocol to Address 1, 9600, 8, No parity, address 1, with Pelco-D protocol (all these are the default settings anyways). I assigned the controller to use COM1 as the port in the device manager under advanced settings for the device, then went into BI and changed the cam's ptz function to use COM port 1, LID 1, then with the standard 9600, 8, N, 1, with Pelco-D protocol. I checked the device manager again and the device adopted the same settings that I set in BI (the 9600, 8,N,1) so there was obviously some communication.... Then I followed the controllers instructions to control a ptz cam and have not been able to get it to function.

My guess is BI is not liking the fact that the port is a virtual COM port instead of a real COM port. The driver converts the signals and supply's the same messages so I'm not sure whats going on. Anyone have any ideas? How can I get this working? Thanks :)

Windows 8.1 64-bit, 8GB ram, BI 4.0.1.8 64-bit
2 poker ptz 2MP cams

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try changing the port number from 1 to 3 or 4, even though you don't have a physical port on your computer many motherboards have it in their BIOS. I would also check your BIOS for any COM port *stuff* and turn it off to. I would also check the windows device manager too see what COM ports it shows - windows can create COM ports for a computer even when they don't have any (because of the MB BIOS thing).

kylen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I said above, I am using COM port 1 - set in the device manager. Through the course of trying to get it working I have tried COM ports 1 and 3. All settings applied through everything. The thing I havnt tried yet is the BIOS settings. Ill poke around in there soon. :)

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can also make a loopback connector to test the port, and/or use a program like putty to test with (windows 7+ doesn't come with hyperterminal anymore). You should be able to use any terminal program to connect directly to the camera (all you are really looking for is any type of response). Remember all that BI is doing is using the COM port to send/receive commands - you can do that directly using any terminal program.

These types of problems typically reflect a hardware/driver issue - regardless of what windows device manager says (because it's only responsible for correctly installing the driver - windows has no idea if it actually works). I would verify the COM port works before looking at any software issue.

Loopback connector:

9 pin female COM connection is required, pin no. 2-3 and 7-8 needed to shorted.

Attachments

kylen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok so there may be a bit of confusion on how my system is actually set up. Check out the attached network diagram. I am trying to use the ptz controller in a little bit different of a way that I think you interpreted it :) . The computer will receive ptz commands from the PTZ controller and forward those commands to the correct camera. I have used a serial port tool and I did verify that the computer is receiving the commands from the ptz controller. I took a look at all the raw data while it was coming in so I know its there. I just need to get BI to start taking that data and using it :) Hopefully this clears things up a bit :)

Anyone with experience on this feel free to weigh in :)

Attachments