VLC RTSP main stream from LTS (Hikvision) NVR freezes after a few minutes; substream OK

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can access a video feed from my LTS NVR with VLC and this kind of URL:

rtsp:/admin: PASSWORD@192.168.1.15:8554/Streaming/Channels/502

Note the last digit: 2 is the substream and 1 would be the main stream:

rtsp:/admin: PASSWORD@192.168.1.15:8554/Streaming/Channels/501

Unfortunately, after a couple of minutes of viewing the high quality main stream, the VLC image just freezes. The low-quality substream works fine, though.

I do not think this is a problem with the computer or version of VLC. This has been a problem across more than one computer, more than one version of VLC, and more than one NVR firmware version. I have a tablet running LTS viewer software which works indefinitely, as does the NVR's web browser video stream. I think I need a different RTSP player, or there is a fiddly setting deep in VLC that I need to figure out.

Does anyone have any ideas how to attack this? Or other good free Windows camera streaming software I can try? The only VLC setting I have messed with is the streaming cache and it does not help.

Edit to add: The RTSP stream is stable if I use ffplay. So VLC just hates my NVR, I guess. If there is a settings tweak I would like to figure it out as VLC is handy.

Last edited:

Wilbur

n3wb
Reaction score
I use VLC (3.0.9.2) on Lububtu to look at cams (direct IP to cam or via a DVR) real time but only for a minute or two at a time and VLC quite often has problem but my PCs are quite old and slow by modern standards. Sometimes VLC fails to close properly and I have to kill -9 the task. Your best bet is to turn on the VLC logging Tools>Preferences>Check Show Settings "All". The log is appended to when running VLC so it is best to clear/delete it before running each VLC. I get dropped frames/picture is too late etc.