Voltage drop from microphone

munkiep

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Recently connected a Hikvision DS-2FP2020 microphone to my Hik DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 camera, using a POE splitter i was trying to power both the camera and microphone off the same run of network cable connected to the NVR DS-7608NI-I2/8P. After everything was connected, i checked the status of my camera, but it never would power on. Upon further troubleshooting, i completely disconnected the camera leaving only the mic connected to the positive and negative, and found i was only getting 1.5V. But if i disconnect the mic the power reads 12V again. Should this mic have such a huge draw on power? Or is it a problem with trying to receive the power from the NVR?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
i completely disconnected the camera leaving only the mic connected to the positive and negative, and found i was only getting 1.5V. But if i disconnect the mic the power reads 12V again. Should this mic have such a huge draw on power?
Presumably the camera works OK off the splitter when only it is connected?
Suggestion:
Check that the microphone isn't connected incorrectly.
It will have reverse polarity protection - 1.5v is consistent with that, especially when 1 to 1.5A could be flowing from the splitter.

munkiep

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i did check and polarity was coming from the splitter correctly, i should add that i was using this type of connector 1578343926380.png off of the splitter with this type of plug 1578344004932.png running power to the camera, and i terminated the power and ground wire for the microphone along with the wires for the camera at the green end of the connector.

munkiep

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
follow up, i realized my problem. I took what @alastairstevenson said and checked the camera only plugged into the splitter and it still wouldn't turn on (no mic attached). I looked into the splitter i was using (it was given to me with some access points, had no markings or part number), and came to the conclusion that it is a passive splitter and not an active splitter. I should be getting a new active splitter tomorrow.