VPN question

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would like to set up a vpn connection at another site to my home and record the cameras via blue Iris. I have very fast internet at both sites. Currently using a ubiquiti usg with vpn setup for my laptop and mobile. I plan on using blue Iris to record both sites.

You think I can use a PC with internet connection sharing to use as a host or gateway VPN for it?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
hi @pal251: yes you can. But what are you trying to achieve? Can you make a drawing? To make sure we formulate the best advices.

You have your home location, with the Ubiquity VPN Server running?
You'll have "another site B" with a BI pc?

What I would suggest then: configure OpenVPN Server at home (eg port forward 1194 to USG). Test this connection with your mobile on 4G.
Then install OpenVPN Client on your BI pc, make sure it can make outbound connection to your OpenVPN Server at home, and voilà.

So nothing complex :)

If you want to make it complex (but bit more professional): you can setup OpenVPN Server too at siteB and construct a Site2Site VPN tunnel. All good too!

Good luck!
CC

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Site b is the remote site with cameras. Also looking into a box to stream cable to the internet kind of like slingbox or a slingbox. Site a is home with the current VPN server setup on my usg. I have more cameras and my blue Iris server there.

I can setup a vpn on site B's Netgear router and install a vpn client on my blue Iris server at site a and do it that way also.

Next step is upgrading the server lol