Vpn setup

chewie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Gentleman
I want to setup a VPN in my network, I do not have lots of experience with networking, My router is a Verizon router, I do not want to use this router for my VPN, I want to get a router with a build-in openvpn option, can I setup the VPN having 2 routers on the network? if is possible which router is good for the job with the build-in openvpn option.
Please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Chewie

barryrod

n3wb
Reaction score
You can usually find a way to make your provider's router a passthrough connection and utilize your own router.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Asus are known for having some of the best/easiest routers for VPN purposes. I have the AC68P and love it. There are plenty of tutorials online showing how to load various softwares for OpenVPN, check them out. The 66 series are the most common and share basically the same UI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Tonight, I finally got things working/talking in both directions. Last night, I determined what was causing the OpenVPN server running on my DD-WRT router to fail. I had mis-configured the NETMASK value for the IP tunnel device. After correcting that problem, it started up and stayed up. Couldn't connect from work today, but worked on it tonight, and found my Windows OpenVPN client configuration file was missing the "auth SHA512" command to match the OpenVPN server configuration. After I added that, it connected quickly and reliably.