VPN usage with BI

jimbo123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

Am wondering how others generally make use of their VPN connections to get into their home services ?

I've just configured OpenVPN on my DDWRT enabled router as a server,.. pushing out my internal network as part of its config.

Via IP address, I have no issue getting to any device on my internal/home network from outside on my iPhone when I have VPN enabled.

I'm hoping to make use of the geofencing capabilities of BI, but I figure its going to need a continuous connection, which then brought to me this thread.

Do those of you that are using geofencing just leave VPN turned on on your iPhone permanently ?

I figure as I'm not manipulating/replacing the default route as part of the VPN connection and just pushing my internal network to the VPN client that ONLY traffic trying to get to my internal target addresses would come via VPN and the rest would go directly to wherever via the Telco/phone - would that be right ?

Is there much overhead with doing this, i.e. the VPN chatter and then the BI 'ping/probe' from the phone back to the server ?

Are there any best practises ?

I'd prefer not to flip VPN on/off whenever I wanted to check things.

Apologies if this has been covered, but I did search and have read many threads over the last few weeks but didn't recall the specifics of what I was looking for.

Cheers,

Jim.....