Vpn?

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since I've purchased a poe nvr if I want to view remotely I'll either have to port forward (which I've read is bad) or place the system on a vpn. My current router doesn't support vpn (netgear r6300). I don't want to flash my current router so could I simply purchase another vpn capable router solely for the cameras and nvr? I've found an Asus router that is capable of being a vpn server for $20. Asus rt-n12+.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That would work, you'd have to forward the ports from your main router to the secondary one so the VPN is accessible from the internet..

some other options: if you have a PC/Server thats always on it can run the VPN Server software

or you can get a box built for specifically for VPN, these come with hardware crypto acceleration and are often capable of much better speeds than a consumer router.. a quick looking around shows the NETGEAR FVS338 ProSafe VPN Firewall 50 can be had used for a song and a dance and has really good reviews.. I suspect the client software they provide for it is dated by now but it should work with the native VPN clients built into your mobiles/computers.

In the future when it comes time to upgrade your router I would suggest avoiding Wifi routers.. get a router and a wifi access point.. put each one where they would work best, dont combine the two.. WiFi speeds evolve much faster than internet speeds, you could upgrade your access points a few times before your router would need an upgrade.. All you guy with PoE IP cameras can start looking at PoE Access points now that you have hardware.. and trust me, your WiFi works much better when its not shoved under your desk in the office but mounted to the celling in your family room.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks nayr. I really appreciate your input. Which is the easiest for a network novive?

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I go the prosafe route is it simply a matter of connecting nvr to prosafe. Prosafe to wifi router and forwarding router ports to the prosafe?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have an always on PC go check out: https://www.softether.org/ it's very well documented and should get you up and running in short order.

you dont plug your NVR into anything other than your network like always.. you also put the VPN server on the same network.. what the VPN does fundamentally is build a secure bridge and put you on your home network, remotely.

Last edited by a moderator:

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have an always on PC go check out: https://www.softether.org/ it's very well documented and should get you up and running in short order.
Looks good. How much resources will this take up on the pc? My kids use it for school work and gaming etc. Since those prosafe are so cheap is their much of a difference in the 318 or 338 model? I've seen 318 gigabit models priced with the 338s. The price differences on either model are the same regardless if 10/100 or gigabit.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if nobody is connected to the VPN it wont use anything, if someone is connected to the VPN it will depend on the speed they are pushing.. but likely your PC has crypto acceleration hardware already in it, so unless you have a really really fast internet connection and a ton of cameras its unlikely to be noticeable.. your PC is much faster than all but the biggest routers and vpn appliances.. it'll likely saturate your outbound bandwidth before coming close to you even noticing the load.. plus, chances are when your away and using VPN someone wont be using the PC for intensive tasks either way.

you'll have to research those prosafes, I dont have any knowledge about them that you dont already.. they were just the first "VPN Appliance" that came up on amazon for a decent price w/good reviews.. I work with network hardware that has 4-6 digits in its price tag, kinda warps my view of cheap network gear.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going to try the pc solution first but get one of those prosafe in case I don't want an always on pc.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I will try the software approach as all my PC's are always on, we have very cheap power up here. I hope its not to hard to configure as I am no pro.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nayr is there a way of communicating directly to you? I can't dm you via this forum for some reason.

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @JFire,

I was in the same situation - I didnt want port forwarding as my cameras ended up being targeted by hackers a lot and so wanted a VPN server, but didnt want to run a PC 24/7.... I needed a network storage system as well, so I went with a QNAP NAS. I did a little write-up here on my blog http://www.vueville.com/blog/how-we-built-our-diy-home-security-camera-system/

The NAS runs 24/7 but lets me access my whole home network remotely, not just the IP cameras. Maybe this could be a solution for you?

Cheers

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @JFire,

I was in the same situation - I didnt want port forwarding as my cameras ended up being targeted by hackers a lot and so wanted a VPN server, but didnt want to run a PC 24/7.... I needed a network storage system as well, so I went with a QNAP NAS. I did a little write-up here on my blog http://www.vueville.com/blog/how-we-built-our-diy-home-security-camera-system/

The NAS runs 24/7 but lets me access my whole home network remotely, not just the IP cameras. Maybe this could be a solution for you?

Cheers
I'll check it out thanks

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@acp_xt I've already purchased the netgear prosafe nayr mentioned. My only questions now is setting it all up. I'll wait till it all arrives to really bug you all. What I don't understand right now is am I forwarding traffic to the prosafes ip or will I forward it to the nvr's ip behind the prosafe?

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I installed the Nayr suggestion and i can get to my network from outside to the VPN I created but, it loads with one of my Hiks teh 2132 and that's it.Nayr how to I say go to the Blue Iris IP only or have it show up first. I am also challenged by adding the VPN to my Samsung 6 but, getting closer.
Scary this is though that if I enter the VPN name in browser it opens right up no password required.
If you mean accessing the vpn from you s6 that I can answer. Granted I'm a noob but I've been reading up on vpn if you can only access the one camera it sounds like you didn't input the right ip address. Does bi have its own ip?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i dont do private messages, keep it in the public for everyone's benifit..

You forward ports to your VPN Server, when you connect your VPN Client to the server your now connected to home network.. everything is accessible exactly like it would be on your home wifi w/out VPN... internal local IP's for any device should be avilable.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i dont do private messages, keep it in the public for everyone's benifit..

You forward ports to your VPN Server, when you connect your VPN Client to the server your now connected to home network.. everything is accessible exactly like it would be on your home wifi w/out VPN... internal local IP's for any device should be avilable.
Sorry new to me but, I created the VPN server manager do I create a client aswell? I logged into the VPN via the ##@#softether.net in browser but, it logs into one camera, How to set it up to see say just BI ? also I see somewhere in there that it will change IP to 10. something how ?

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry new to me but, I created the VPN server do I create a client ? I logged into the VPN via the ##@#softether.net in browser but, it logs into one camera, How to set it up to see say just BI ? also I see somewhere in there that it will change IP to 10. something how ?
Android has a native client. If you go into settings then more connections you'll see the VPN option. It sounds like you went to a vpn provider not setting up your own vpn. You'd either have to install the software onto your pc. Or have a router with built in server capabilities. Or do what I'm doing and getting a vpn box.