VPN's .... and phones?

Reaction score
@fenderman and @alastairstevenson have successfully scared the hell out of me. Thanks?? LOL. The result is that I am going to set up VPN on my router while I await my new-to-me HP Procurve POE Managed Switch.

My question: I have the Blue Iris app on my android phone. How do I utilize a vpn to establish a connection to my BI server through the BI app? I see there are VPN apps for phones-- who uses what here? There does not seem to be anything about mobile VPN apps here-- or maybe my search keywords are crap... Regardless-- the collective knowledge of those on this forum is an impressive asset, and knowing what has worked well and NOT worked well for you VPN veterans can be a great help for those like me who have been slow to get into the game...

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OpenVPN on mobile devices?
Yes...use OpenVPN. There are many OpenVPN tutorials. You first establish an OpenVPM connection between your Mobile device to your LAN, and then specify your BI server's local (LAN) IP address when you set up the Blue Iris app.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go to VPN section:

this can help.

It is easiest if you use a router that has OpenVPN. Setup openvpn on router - dl the openvpn app on phone: enter name/pw you created with OPENVPN on your router / connect openvpn / open bi app.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
stunnel is also pretty easy to setup if you are just looking for a secure VPN tunnel to remotely use your BI app.

Both stunnel and openVPN use the OpenSSL library. stunnel just layers your session over TLS. Kinda like when you visit a website using HTTPS

I run OpenVPN on pfSense to remotely connect to my home network to access my lab, but I also use BI with stunnel (which allows my wife and kids to use the BI app remotely and securely - they don't need to access the rest of the network remotely)

Last edited: