VTH 5221DW Dahua

69Mirek

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

VTH 5221 bricking after change firmware. How unbricking ?
Only flash rot led on main plate.

Where are pin TTL?

Mirek

KrzysztofK

n3wb
Reaction score
Same issue here. I've uploaded wrong firmware and... VTH5221 bricked.
Any idea how to recover?
Any clue on the "command.txt" content?

KK

KrzysztofK

n3wb
Reaction score
Finally I managed to recover my VTH :). A loooot of help found on:
Dahua IPC EASY unbricking / recovery over TFTP
and
Dahua IPC unbricking / recovery over serial UART and TFTP
Thanks cor35vet.

Resolution:
  1. Find and connect UART (serial port). I have CP2102 USB to UART, but I think that any TTL will work (do not use regular RS 232 as it is 12V 1571522600707.png
  2. Connect device to the network via regular LAN cable
  3. Use Putty to connect to the device, press * one booting the device until prompt appears.
  4. Type: setenv serverip 192.168.1.100 (or any other address of your PC where you are going to run tftp server.
  5. Read above threds to understand tftp, however in my case best solution was to get tftp file downloaded from the link in the above threds, copy OpenTFTPServerMT.exe to newly created directory and run it with option -v (OpenTFTPServerMT.exe -v)
  6. The directory should contain upgrade.img file which you need to find for your device. For mind VTH5221 it is located on: VDP - oldest version available is best (I think) - Software Name:[Main Firmware]General_VTH52X1D_Eng_P_V1.000.0000.0.R.20170410. You need to unpack the file to find update.img
  7. Now it is time to run the update by typing "run up" in the terminal.
If you see hashes (#) appearing on the screen it means that VTH found your computer and contacted tftp server. if not - hmm... check your network parameters. to do so - best run on the terminal the command: "printenv". it will show network parameters. to change parameters use "setenv" command.

ragstar

n3wb
Reaction score
and
Thanks cor35vet.

Resolution:
  1. Find and connect UART (serial port). I have CP2102 USB to UART, but I think that any TTL will work (do not use regular RS 232 as it is 12V View attachment 49138
  3. Use Putty to connect to the device, press * one booting the device until prompt appears.
  4. Type: setenv serverip 192.168.1.100 (or any other address of your PC where you are going to run tftp server.
  5. Read above threds to understand tftp, however in my case best solution was to get tftp file downloaded from the link in the above threds, copy OpenTFTPServerMT.exe to newly created directory and run it with option -v (OpenTFTPServerMT.exe -v)
  6. The directory should contain upgrade.img file which you need to find for your device. For mind VTH5221 it is located on: VDP - oldest version available is best (I think) - Software Name:[Main Firmware]General_VTH52X1D_Eng_P_V1.000.0000.0.R.20170410. You need to unpack the file to find update.img
If you see hashes (#) appearing on the screen it means that VTH found your computer and contacted tftp server. if not - hmm... check your network parameters. to do so - best run on the terminal the command: "printenv". it will show network parameters. to change parameters use "setenv" command.
Hi all, nice work! I've also got my VTH5221 bricked after an update. @KrzysztofK can you be more specific on where teh tx and rx pins are on the board? Thanks in advance!

int

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there,

I just wonder if my VTH5221DW is bricked or not. Even as it has been never been used, it does not seem to start.
Hooked up to POE (48V), it does light up the buttons and they stay on - but no screen is ever lite.

Is that VTH brocken? Or does it like the 48V supplied?
What is the acceptable voltage for that VTH5221DW !?
I thought 802.3af (48V) should be fine.

Any ideas!?

Thanks,
INT

int

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there,

a little update on the broken VTH5221DW... I got it fixed via TTL flashing the ROM (V4.3) via TFTP with a Win10 in a VM.
Now it seems to work just fine again - as the screen comes on and operation seems to be normal so far.

Thanks,
INT

Last edited:

lordlex

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,

a little update on the broken VTH5221DW... I got it fixed via TTL flashing the ROM (V4.3) via TFTP with a Win10 in a VM.
Now it seems to work just fine again - as the screen comes on and operation seems to be normal so far.

Thanks,
INT
Hi. How exactly you did, please? Where you got the package, because I only found the .bin files?...

I have a VTH5221DW and it didn't worked with my VTO2111D-WP-S1... they supposed to work as told by the ones I bought them from. Anyway, I managed to get a firmware with SIP support, and it worked to connect but pressing the button on the VTO didn't show the call on the VTH, and I tried to flash again and put a firmware supposed for this VTH. Now it just continue to restart. I see some network communication on wireshark for about 1 minute, but didn't managed to make it connect to my Windows VM running the TFTP server and upgrade...
I see it tries to assign its IP address 10.0.1.97, then I see a DHCP message of type "Boot Request", then I see two ARP request related to IP address 192.168.1.1 sent from 192.168.1.108, first containing "upgrade_info_7db" string and second "failed.txt" string... I tried to run the TFTP server on 192.168.1.1 but nothing...

Last edited:

lordlex

n3wb
Reaction score
Managed to un-brick it using VDPConfig... But I'm back to the the old problem, when pressing the call button on the VTO, I don't get a call on the VTH... it's like they don't connect. When I go to Monitor and select the VTO, it show the image and I can unlock... Also, the pressing the talk button on the VTH it does nothing too...

lordlex

n3wb
Reaction score
Managed to make it work. So, I had to use a firmware with SIP support because my VTH5221DW didn't had that. After that, the guide here DahuaWiki helped with the correct setup.

motovav

n3wb
Reaction score
Managed to un-brick it using VDPConfig... But I'm back to the the old problem, when pressing the call button on the VTO, I don't get a call on the VTH... it's like they don't connect. When I go to Monitor and select the VTO, it show the image and I can unlock... Also, the pressing the talk button on the VTH it does nothing too...
Dear Sir,
How did You managed it to work using VDPConfig?
Mine vth-5221dw have ping, but screen is not working after unsuccessful upgrade. Have you used uart (i do not have it...)?

Reaction score
hi,I have vth-5221dw conected to NVR,it recording video,but not audio. I want to record and audio from this VTH.
is someone who also tried to record audio ?

sag

n3wb
Reaction score
and
Thanks cor35vet.

Resolution:
  1. Find and connect UART (serial port). I have CP2102 USB to UART, but I think that any TTL will work (do not use regular RS 232 as it is 12V View attachment 49138

Can you please share details on where exactly the serial port is on the board ? and how to connect with it .. I have VTH5221D and it keep rebooting after flashing a firmware ..

THanks. any help is much appretiated

sag

n3wb
Reaction score
Can anyone kindly explain which one is serial port and what pins are TX,RX,GRD ..

This is VTH 5221D, Dahua Intercom.

Thanks

Attachments

_energy86_

n3wb
Reaction score
Checking DDR......OK

UBL Version: 1.46t(DM365)09:30:17 Sep 2 2014
Oscillator: 24MHZ
ARM Rate: 432 MHZ
DDR Rate: 340 MHZ
BootMode: SPI
Starting SPI Memory Copy...
DONE

U-Boot 1.3.6 (jerry) (Mar 28 2017 - 19:34:15)

DRAM: 128 MB
SF: Got idcode 01 20 18 4d 01
SF: Read SPANSION second ID 0019
In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Ethernet PHY: GENERIC @ 0x01,id:1cc816
total gio 2
gio[22]=1
gio[25]=1
TFTP from server 192.168.254.254; our IP address is 192.168.1.108; sending throu gh gateway 192.168.1.1
Filename 'upgrade_info_7db780a713a4.txt'.
Load address: 0x80100000
Loading: *
Retry count exceeded; starting again
Fail to get info file!
Init error!
TFTP from server 192.168.254.254; our IP address is 192.168.1.108; sending throu gh gateway 192.168.1.1
Filename 'failed.txt'.
Load address: 0x80200000
Loading: *
Retry count exceeded; starting again
==>use default images
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 80007fc0 ...
Image Name: Linux-2.6.18_pro500-davinci_evm-
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 1774796 Bytes = 1.7 MB
Load Address: 80008000
Entry Point: 80008000
Verifying Checksum ... OK
XIP Kernel Image ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux............................................................. ......................................................... done, booting the kern el.
I've already found where the PINs are to connect the USB, but now I can't communicate with TFTP, and the VTH5221 is not fetching the files. When it enters Boot, I can't stop it with *. Any suggestions?
@sag connect as I drew it, as recognized by PuTTY. On the RS485 tab, it doesn't work in this version.

Thanks

Attachments