VTH5221D not connecting to IPC

MrBits

n3wb
Reaction score
I have bought a VTH5221D to act as a simple monitor for the Dahua IPC camera in my porch - no VTO
The VTH5221D is connected to my network with a static IP through a POE switch.
The camera in the porch is connected to my Dahua NVR with 4 other cameras.
The VTH5221D shows in the NVR as a camera to connect and I have added it. I have also updated to the latest firmware in Configtool.
The instructions for the VTH5221D are pretty simple and I have tried everything to get it to connect to the camera or the NVR with no success.
I have set the name to the same as the IPC, likewise the IP address and the username and password. The port is showing as 554 but I have tried 80 and 37777. I have tried the local and onvif options. I have tried all of the same settings to connect to the NVR and changed the NVR,IPC option.
I wonder please if anyone has any ideas as I am stumped as to why this isn't working.
Thank you
Matthew

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have set the name to the same as the IPC, likewise the IP address and the username and password.
Please clarify.....the IP addresses of all connected devices are static and unique (different), correct?
Is the VTH, the IP camera and the NVR's LAN all on the subnet?

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Check the substream settings of the problem camera and compare them to the other cams that you are able to connect to.

MrBits

n3wb
Reaction score
Please clarify.....the IP addresses of all connected devices are static and unique (different), correct?
Is the VTH, the IP camera and the NVR's LAN all on the subnet?
Yes that’s all correct. Everything is static too.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you, I can’t connect to anything through the VTH
Oh, okay. I thought you are able to connect to the other cameras but not the one on the front porch.

Using the camera GUI, try creating another user and giving it access to view the streams. Then enter that user information into the VTH.

MrBits

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh, okay. I thought you are able to connect to the other cameras but not the one on the front porch.

Using the camera GUI, try creating another user and giving it access to view the streams. Then enter that user information into the VTH.
Thank you for this helpful tip. I have done this in the camera and I find now if I set the display to the main stream I get a message on the screen 'unsupported video' but the substream (extra setting in the VTH) does not display anything at all.
So I'm pretty confident now it has the connection but I am still struggling to get it to actually work.
There are very few options in the VTH and I have tried local and onvif. The port is 554 and I have tried 37777 but that doesn't change anything.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for this helpful tip. I have done this in the camera and I find now if I set the display to the main stream I get a message on the screen 'unsupported video' but the substream (extra setting in the VTH) does not display anything at all.
So I'm pretty confident now it has the connection but I am still struggling to get it to actually work.
There are very few options in the VTH and I have tried local and onvif. The port is 554 and I have tried 37777 but that doesn't change anything.
You're 99% of the way there! Make sure you have the substream checked off. You can double check this by seeing if the substream is available on the NVR. The VTH doesn't have the decode capability nor resolution to handle the main stream.

MrBits

n3wb
Reaction score
You're 99% of the way there! Make sure you have the substream checked off. You can double check this by seeing if the substream is available on the NVR. The VTH doesn't have the decode capability nor resolution to handle the main stream.
Sorry if I misunderstand, but the main stream and substream are both switched on the camera and I’ve tried both the main and extra on the VTH. Thank you very much

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry if I misunderstand, but the main stream and substream are both switched on the camera and I’ve tried both the main and extra on the VTH. Thank you very much
I was hoping that the substream was switched off and it would have been a matter of just switching it on.

Try changing the resolution of the substream and see if that makes a difference.

MrBits

n3wb
Reaction score
I was hoping that the substream was switched off and it would have been a matter of just switching it on.

Try changing the resolution of the substream and see if that makes a difference.
Thank you very much for your help with this. I ended up playing about with the substream settings and found that the VTH didn't like the H.265 encode and when I changed that to the 264 it sprung into life. I am delighted.
The only thing that I see now as a problem, or at least not as I intended, is that in order to view the camera there are multiple button presses to get to viewing the camera; and I cannot see a way around that. It also has a default to display for 5 minutes which again does not seem to be adjustable. I suspect this is simply because I am trying to do something with it that it was not intended to do and I may need to look at other options in time.
Thank you again for all your help

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help with this. I ended up playing about with the substream settings and found that the VTH didn't like the H.265 encode and when I changed that to the 264 it sprung into life. I am delighted.
The only thing that I see now as a problem, or at least not as I intended, is that in order to view the camera there are multiple button presses to get to viewing the camera; and I cannot see a way around that. It also has a default to display for 5 minutes which again does not seem to be adjustable. I suspect this is simply because I am trying to do something with it that it was not intended to do and I may need to look at other options in time.
Thank you again for all your help
Glad you got it working! Most people prefer h.264 as it offers better resolution with only slightly higher storage requirements.

Yeah, the VTHs aren't awesome devices but short of setting up a tablet or similar device, they do provide their function.