Wall mount bracket vs. junction box on wall

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a IPC-E3541F camera selected for an interior application. Locations are rectangular spaces in which two cameras will be used, each one covering half the room. Ceiling mount is not an option due to their excessive height.

The conundrum is whether to install them using the wall mount bracket which is perpendicular off the wall, where the camera mounts (horizontal) to the underside of the bracket --OR-- use the junction box, and attach the cams to the box (vertical). Being an interior space, I am a bit more mindful of the visual aesthetics and for that reason, the vertical mount has more appeal. However, I am concerned that the desired area of coverage might not be obtainable using the vertical mount due to possible (operative word) limitations of the XYZ range of motion of the lens axis'.

I do have the camera in-hand, and will be testing before drilling any holes for cabling and mounting. Regardless, I figured I'd post the situation beforehand for feedback in case I miss anything in my (pre)thought process or testing

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you test it with the infrared on. You can get away with a lot more range of motion in color, but as the lens gets closer to the end of the dome, IR bounce and reflection gets worse. I have to force a dome in color because one of the IR LEDs is up past the dome and washed out the image.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In addition to what @wittaj pointed out about the IR when mounting it directly to a vertical surface with no bracket, the specs show it only mounted horizontally either with a box to a horizontal surface or using the wall bracket on a vertical surface.

Even Andy says use the wall bracket if mounting to a wall here. I derive that the cam is NOT to be mounted and oriented vertically.

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
... the specs show it only mounted horizontally either with a box to a horizontal surface or using the wall bracket on a vertical surface.

Even Andy says use the wall bracket if mounting to a wall here. I derive that the cam is NOT to be mounted and oriented vertically.
I did notice the 3541 is only depicted as a horizontal mount in the specs (as is the 5442). Another part of the inspiration for the OP