Wall mount Dome Camera LPR

priobe

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello
I’m looking for a camera that mounts on the wall that is a dome camera. I would like to have it pick up LPR when they turn in my culdesac.

the camera will be mounted about 50 ft from the turn around.

what camera would you recommend.

I am new to Blue Iris and this is what I will plan on using.

thx

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A dome camera wouldn't be recommended due to the reflective glare that the dome captures. Domes are notorious for picking up weird reflective flares. The headlights reflective bounce off a dome will wreak havoc on capturing the plates.

You need either the bullter 5442-Z4E or 5442-Z12E

And keep in mind at night all it will capture ate plates.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Most of us don’t recommend domes as they collect dust and water drop smudges and can have various reflection issues. Their IR is also not so great.
That said this is the dome version of the bullet camera most would use at that distance. If 60ft or less

Dome
Bullet

There is also a more powerful zoom Z12 version but only 2MP that is the most popular LPR camera but it doesn’t come in dome format

Reaction score
Since you are considering getting into LPR, here are a few threads to look at.

SIMPLY LPR.JPG

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most of us don’t recommend domes as they collect dust and water drop smudges and can have various reflection issues. Their IR is also not so great.
That said this is the dome version of the bullet camera most would use at that distance. If 60ft or less

Dome
Bullet

There is also a more powerful zoom Z12 version but only 2MP that is the most popular LPR camera but it doesn’t come in dome format
As well as above, diurnal insects with compound eyes (wasps, bees and flies) seem to be attracted to the domes, more noticeable in rural environments. Searching the web for this is how I originally found this forum!

priobe

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses

I thought it might put things into perspective if I included the (2) areas that I have to work with:
Option 1: shows palm tree) this is an area that the camera is mounted on the wall. I was thinking this would have to be a dome since I do not want a bullet to be sticking out where it can be bumped by the lawn guy.

option2: this is located very close to the street located under the mailbox (hidden).

in this area I can install a bullet camera pretty easy.

im attaching a picture for a better view perspective.

Attachments

priobe

n3wb
Reaction score
I assure you the dome would be problematic in that situation/location.

If you can put on the mailbox close to the street, you can get by with a turret.

This is the go to for folks that are that close:
the one on the mailbox would have to be a bullet, I can’t mount a round camera

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why can't you mount a turret camera?

It looks like just a standard mailbox?

The turret is less likely to be hit or moved or seen on a mailbox.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In a cul-de-sac, you'll get the most reliable results if you zoom in to the straight part of the street where license plates would actually be closer to inline with the camera and hope nobody ever parks on the street blocking your view.

What's the distance to the red box in this image and how wide is the street at that point?
1708796533566.png

Last edited:

priobe

n3wb
Reaction score

so the way I have the current bullet camera mounted it is in a little cubby under the box. You are correct that it is a standard mailbox but the round camera (Torret) I don’t think it will fit. I could definitely check.
I’m attaching a picture of a similar mailbox and you can see in the picture where the bullet fits in the little cubby under the mailbox.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What camera do you have now? It must be pretty small.

The turret or bullet of the cameras we fairly large. The turret base is about 4.8" across and the bullet is about 3.75" across.

But the camera could go below that swivel part.

Plus where your mailbox is in relation to the street, you would have to turn the bullet up the street instead of looking straight out as your picture shows and it wouldn't be aligned with the top of the mailbox, so the bullet camera would be sticking out to the side, thus easier to be hit or messed with.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with catching them at the mouth of the culdesac and having it up high if you can. Cars park where you least want them to.
Depending on how tight they turn, I get a closer shot as well

Overview
HOA Rear VPN_Overview_main_20240224130858_@8.jpg HOA Rear VPN_Overview_main_20240224014552_@8.jpg

LPR cam
HOA Rear VPN_Tag_main_20240224020411_@8.jpg HOA Rear VPN_Tag_main_20240224014556_@8.jpg HOA Rear VPN_Tag_main_20240224014552_@8.jpg

priobe

n3wb
Reaction score

so the way I have the current bullet camera mounted it is in a little cubby under the box. You are correct that it is a standard mailbox but the round camera (Torret) I don’t think it will fit. I could definitely check.

In a cul-de-sac, you'll get the most reliable results if you zoom in to the straight part of the street where license plates would actually be closer to inline with the camera and hope nobody ever parks on the street blocking your view.

What's the distance to the red box in this image and how wide is the street at that point?
View attachment 187623
I would estimate that box to be about 140 ft from the wall to the box
The wide of the street I would estimate it to be 16 /18ft. It’s a two lane street.

priobe

n3wb
Reaction score

View attachment 187623
I would estimate that box to be about 140 ft from the wall to the box
The wide of the street I would estimate it to be 16 /18ft. It’s a two lane street.

priobe

n3wb
Reaction score

The turret or bullet of the cameras we fairly large. The turret base is about 4.8" across and the bullet is about 3.75" across.

Plus where your mailbox is in relation to the street, you would have to turn the bullet up the street instead of looking straight out as your picture shows and it wouldn't be aligned with the top of the mailbox, so the bullet camera would be sticking out to the side, thus easier to be hit or messed with.
Im currently using this camera. I’m thinking of returning it

I currently have this camera

the body is about 4/5 inches. It was a tight fit.
I really don’t know if this is a good camera or not?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

priobe

n3wb
Reaction score
Agree with catching them at the mouth of the culdesac and having it up high if you can. Cars park where you least want them to.
Depending on how tight they turn, I get a closer shot as well

Overview
View attachment 187627 View attachment 187629

LPR cam
View attachment 187628 View attachment 187630 View attachment 187631
Nice!!!
I have it mounted about 5 ft. This can be adjusted.

also I do not have problems with anyone parking in the culdesac. It’s a private road with 6 homes.
All my neighbors are on board with doing this so everyone respects my space.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a crap camera shoving 8MP on a sensor designed for 2MP and probably can't be set to capture plates (fast shutters). Look at @bigredfish example - the image at night is all black except for the plate - that is what we need are fast shutters - the faster the shutter, the more light is needed.

I bet if you put that camera on a 1/2000 shutter it would override you and give you a bright static image.

If that is your view from this camera, that means you have the camera aligned with the mailbox above it.

This angle will never capture plates. You would need to turn the camera at least 30-45 degrees or more to the right to be able to read plates with any consistency. Then you have a camera that is sticking out looking obvious under the mailbox on that side of the mailbox.

Plus with that much of the bottom of the mailbox showing in the field of view at the top, you would get IR bounce like you wouldn't believe and would get nothing - the camera has to be lower with that out of the field of view.

1708802769461.png

I agree with above - stick it on your house higher up with a straight shot down the road with the 5442-Z12E - trim the tree if you need to.

priobe

n3wb
Reaction score
That is a crap camera shoving 8MP on a sensor designed for 2MP and probably can't be set to capture plates (fast shutters). Look at @bigredfish example - the image at night is all black except for the plate - that is what we need are fast shutters - the faster the shutter, the more light is needed.

I bet if you put that camera on a 1/2000 shutter it would override you and give you a bright static image.

If that is your view from this camera, that means you have the camera aligned with the mailbox above it.

This angle will never capture plates. You would need to turn the camera at least 30-45 degrees or more to the right to be able to read plates with any consistency. Then you have a camera that is sticking out looking obvious under the mailbox on that side of the mailbox.

Plus with that much of the bottom of the mailbox showing in the field of view at the top, you would get IR bounce like you wouldn't believe and would get nothing - the camera has to be lower with that out of the field of view.

View attachment 187635

I agree with above - stick it on your house higher up with a straight shot down the road with the 5442-Z12E - trim the tree if you need to.
Is the 5442-Z12E made by empire?
Is this the camera

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.