wall mounting - does this look ok?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do the install on my camera. Just wanted to check with more experienced folks to see what likely issues are going to come up. I didn't like the way the wall mount looks, so I was thinking of using the junction mount that seems to be used for ceiling type mounting. Here's a picture of how I'm thinking of mounting it. There's enough left-right rotation in this orientation to get the camera looking where I want it to look.

Do I have to worry about water ingress because I'm mounting a ceiling mount junction box as a wall mount? Anything I should do special to prevent water damage? There's no overhang, so it'll be exposed to rain. Is there a better way to do this?

1587331219989.png 1587331347670.png

The blue sticky note shows where I was planning on mounting it.
Blue sticky note shows where I'll mount it.

Night view:
1587332013631.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Do I have to worry about water ingress because I'm mounting a ceiling mount junction box as a wall mount? Anything I should do special to prevent water damage? There's no overhang, so it'll be exposed to rain. Is there a better way to do this?

View attachment 59894
Hi @camviewer43

Either works, just remember quality silicone caulk ( "n" shaped bead, want water to drip out if it gets in ), a little di-electric gel in the RJ45 socket before connecting the RJ45 connectors, and silicone stretch tape or coax seal on the connection afterwards...

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @camviewer43

Either works, just remember quality silicone caulk ( "n" shaped bead, want water to drip out if it gets in ), a little di-electric gel in the RJ45 socket before connecting the RJ45 connectors, and silicone stretch tape or coax seal on the connection afterwards...
Thanks for the reminder. Regarding the di-electric gel, do you just fill the female connector with it and then stick the ethernet male connector into it? It doesn't interfere with the connection? I've never seen it done before and only just now google it and saw this image. I kinda surprised me that's how it's used, just straight up filled the connector with the grease?

1587350110573.png

In other places about di-electric grease, I've read:

Since dielectric grease is a silicone grease, it should not be used on silicone-based rubbers or plastics, as it will break them down over time. The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn’t be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection.
That seems to contradict the previous image of filling up the ethernet connector with grease.

What do you do with the AC plug that doesn't have anything plugged into it if using POE? Seal it with coax seal?

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. Regarding the di-electric gel, do you just fill the female connector with it and then stick the ethernet male connector into it? It doesn't interfere with the connection? I've never seen it done before and only just now google it and saw this image. I kinda surprised me that's how it's used, just straight up filled the connector with the grease?

View attachment 59919

In other places about di-electric grease, I've read:

That seems to contradict the previous image of filling up the ethernet connector with grease.

What do you do with the AC plug that doesn't have anything plugged into it if using POE? Seal it with coax seal?
Hi @camviewer43

Have not seen many talk about di-electric gel causing plastic / silicone to degrade overtime - so I don't think we need to worry too much about that.

In terms of how much to use - just a little "drop" basically - enough so that when you connect the RJ45 plug into the RJ45 socket a little comes out to the edge to keep water out. You can wipe any excess off once you've joined the connectors.