WAN IP Expires every 2 hrs and does not reset

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just changed the router firmware to Merlin. When the router is obtaining the IP from Verizon I noticed it is not pulling a MAC address with Merlin.

I had asked Verizon yesterday to clear the MAC address on there server in case there was any blocks they did not see. But I got someone who really did not have a clue on how to do that. They basic told me thats not possible.

So now i am running Merlin no MAC address is showing . Does that mean Merlin is hiding the MAC address from Verizon or Verizon is now just sending me an open IP with not MAC address filtering ?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I just changed the router firmware to Merlin. When the router is obtaining the IP from Verizon I noticed it is not pulling a MAC address with Merlin.

I had asked Verizon yesterday to clear the MAC address on there server in case there was any blocks they did not see. But I got someone who really did not have a clue on how to do that. They basic told me thats not possible.

So now i am running Merlin no MAC address is showing . Does that mean Merlin is hiding the MAC address from Verizon or Verizon is now just sending me an open IP with not MAC address filtering ?
Does is work beyond two hours now?

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had to reprogram the 3 channels , set passwords , etc. I think when I applied theses settings it may have refreshed the WAN IP. I will now let it sit for 2 hours and see what happens. Will post back in a few hours to let you know.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Going on 12 hours now and I have not lost connection yet. So for shits and giggles I plugged in my 66u router with it running the ASUS firmware and has all the original settings my new 5300 router had before loading Merlin onto the router. The 66u will not reestablish the IP after 2 hours.

So the only difference I See between the two routers on screen is the Merlin firmware does not seem to be establishing or broadcasting a MAC address. I know if I select the Clone I can pull in the MAC address and have it show BUT the 5300 is up and running so way screw with it.

I know a DHCP server wants a MAC address so it can establish the connection between router and server but this seems very odd. Once router shows the MAC address being pulled into the ISP settings and the other is completely blank and working.

For now I am leaving it alone since it seems to be working.

Last edited: