wansview NC540 no PTZ control

ikarushot

n3wb
Reaction score
Currently running two IP cams under blue iris 4 - a foscam which works perfectly and the above which does not respond to any of the PTZ controls.

This camera is fully controllable through its own web interface but BI4 won't move it.

Does anyone know how I can trouble-shoot this?

IK

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently running two IP cams under blue iris 4 - a foscam which works perfectly and the above which does not respond to any of the PTZ controls.

This camera is fully controllable through its own web interface but BI4 won't move it.

Does anyone know how I can trouble-shoot this?

IK
Welcome to the forum. Have you selected the proper wanscam model from the dropdown list, both in the video tab AND ptz tab in blue iris? Is ptz enabled in blue iris?
Side note - there are much better cameras out there than foscam/wanscam...the difference is night and day.

ikarushot

n3wb
Reaction score
Many thanks for responding.

In answer to your question it is yes in all cases. Since the Wansview continues to ptz in its own web interface and the foscam works perfectly in either, I can only assume that it is being fed the wrong codes by "blue iris". I was hoping for access to some sort of error message in order to refine the debug. Should I contact "blue Iris" direct about this?

Yes I'm sure there are better cameras, however I must say that I am extremely impressed with these "cheapies": the image quality is completely acceptable for purpose and the build quality / longevity is quite amazing. The Foscams are well over six years old and sit outside in a sub-tropical climate where other "plastic" electronics starts to fail after about 18 months. I expected the pan & tilt to fail quickly but they're still going strong! If you can recommend a better camera with this kind of resilience at around the same cost I would be most interested.

Best regards
IK

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Many thanks for responding.

In answer to your question it is yes in all cases. Since the Wansview continues to ptz in its own web interface and the foscam works perfectly in either, I can only assume that it is being fed the wrong codes by "blue iris". I was hoping for access to some sort of error message in order to refine the debug. Should I contact "blue Iris" direct about this?

Yes I'm sure there are better cameras, however I must say that I am extremely impressed with these "cheapies": the image quality is completely acceptable for purpose and the build quality / longevity is quite amazing. The Foscams are well over six years old and sit outside in a sub-tropical climate where other "plastic" electronics starts to fail after about 18 months. I expected the pan & tilt to fail quickly but they're still going strong! If you can recommend a better camera with this kind of resilience at around the same cost I would be most interested.

Best regards
IK
Try selecting foscam models from the dropdown and see if they help. Otherwise contact support.
Pan tilt is a gimmick because you can never monitor your cameras 24/7, you are better off with a high resolution 1080p wide angle camera...something like the hikvision 2332 turret...85 dollars 3mp..
The image quality is night and day. Make sure to watch at the highest resolutionThat is the 4mm lens, the 2.8mm will be wider. These cameras also have wdr which helps with washout on sunny days.

ikarushot

n3wb
Reaction score
OK - now imagine your wider angle lens and try to look into the very darkest shadows in your picture. Over here we get at least twice that contrast and I'm afraid wdr and mega-pixels just don't cut it. Even still photography can be a problem. I'll stick with my "gimmick" pan and tilt and narrow angle thanks.

IK

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK - now imagine your wider angle lens and try to look into the very darkest shadows in your picture. Over here we get at least twice that contrast and I'm afraid wdr and mega-pixels just don't cut it. Even still photography can be a problem. I'll stick with my "gimmick" pan and tilt and narrow angle thanks.

IK
Not problem, for the record it Works great....i have no problem seeing the entire image...you can of course get a narrower lens...ptz for home security is worthless unless you have it hooked up to sensors to move it or man it 24/7...I just cant stand to look at grainy low res vga footage....also note if you are using those cams wifi, it uses mpeg compression which is a bandwidth hog...with no wdr strong sunlight washes those cheap cameras out....based on your response, I doubt you ever tested wdr...but to each his own...

ikarushot

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow! Gimmicky and worthless - two complements in the space of two posts. As it happens, none of my "serious" installations is wifi but it can be very handy when you are choosing a camera position ( particularly if it has no ptz ) Also, mpeg ( and other ) compression systems are specifically designed to reduce the transmission bandwidth, not hog it. You pay for this in extra processing power needed at the camera and receiving ends.

IK

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! Gimmicky and worthless - two complements in the space of two posts. As it happens, none of my "serious" installations is wifi but it can be very handy when you are choosing a camera position ( particularly if it has no ptz ) Also, mpeg ( and other ) compression systems are specifically designed to reduce the transmission bandwidth, not hog it. You pay for this in extra processing power needed at the camera and receiving ends.

IK
Please understand that I am not knocking you, just the camera and the manufactuers toting this function in low end cameras. I wish someone gave me this info before wasting money on cheap junk cameras. As you learn more, you will see what I'm talking about. For example, while MPEG is a compression method, h.264 has surpassed it by a wide margin. So my comment was referring to mpeg as compared to h.264 that is available in all modern quality cameras. Wifi is a last resort...ethernet and powerline come first...however PTZ has no effect on camera placement, any fixed camera can be adjusted manually.