Want to share my ip cam with friends

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone use one of those services that with let you share your ip cams with friends easily?

Thanks,
Tubac

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Mac, a iPad and an iPhone. Isn’t Blue Iris a PC app exclusively?

Best,
Tubac
A couple dahua cameras were able to live streaming rtmp to YouTube.. . Not sure if it's working or not. Some got it to work, I never did

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone use one of those services that with let you share your ip cams with friends easily?

Thanks,
Tubac
You could try ipcamlive.com free basic subscription which will give you a link to provide to friends that goes to a webpage showing your camera live view. Be sure to read the FAQ and Pricing pages. It's important to adjust camera settings(bit rate,resolution, fps) to keep bandwidth below 2 mbps as shown real time on the Status screen.
It was easy to install and has worked well during the short time I've used it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You could try ipcamlive.com free basic subscription which will give you a link to provide to friends that goes to a webpage showing your camera live view. Be sure to read the FAQ and Pricing pages. It's important to adjust camera settings(bit rate,resolution, fps) to keep bandwidth below 2 mbps as shown real time on the Status screen.
It was easy to install and has worked well during the short time I've used it.
Unfortunately services like these require you to port forward your camera but fail to tell you that is not secure to do so. Shady. They are also horribly overpriced.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just discovered that. You have to port forward 554.
Still trying to wrap my head around using a vpn to secure my cameras. I have a netgear router model D6400.
It is the only model I can use with my feeble centurylink dsl connection which at best is 7 down and .7 up on a good day.i don’t think it has a vpn I can enable. My nvr is a dahua clone sold by security camera king.
I’ve had my cams for 5 years and didn’t realized they could be hijacked so easily without my knowing.
A little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just discovered that. You have to port forward 554.
Still trying to wrap my head around using a vpn to secure my cameras. I have a netgear router model D6400.
It is the only model I can use with my feeble centurylink dsl connection which at best is 7 down and .7 up on a good day.i don’t think it has a vpn I can enable. My nvr is a dahua clone sold by security camera king.
I’ve had my cams for 5 years and didn’t realized they could be hijacked so easily without my knowing.
A little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing...
you can put it in bridge mode and use a router that supports vpn.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Makes sense! Right now I have the netgear router and behind that a apple extreme on bridge mode which I use to pump music to parts of the house. So, I would put the new vpn enabled router behind the netgear router on bridge mode and the apple extreme on bridge mode. What router would you recommend? As you might surmise, the easier to program the better.

Thanks,
Tubac

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Makes sense! Right now I have the netgear router and behind that a apple extreme on bridge mode which I use to pump music to parts of the house. So, I would put the new vpn enabled router behind the netgear router on bridge mode and the apple extreme on bridge mode. What router would you recommend? As you might surmise, the easier to program the better.

Thanks,
Tubac
There are multiple threads discussing asus routers.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Netgear routers can do VPN. Not as nice as Asus but I've seen the feature in there on Netgear. You might need to update the firmware to get the option, and it might not be available on your model depending on what it is.

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’ll see if there is an update, thanks. There is one. Do you know if a firmware update wipes out port forward settings?

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Netgear routers can do VPN. Not as nice as Asus but I've seen the feature in there on Netgear. You might need to update the firmware to get the option, and it might not be available on your model depending on what it is.
It’s a D6400. I couldn’t find it but then when it comes to tech I am a very safe distance from genius.

Last edited:

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am taking this wake up call regarding security seriously .
I just ordered an ASUS RT-AC68U with built in vpn client on eBay
I plan to put my netgear modem/ router in bridge mode, my new ASUS RT-AC68U behind it in vpn client mode, and my apple extreme will stay on bridge mode so I can access my sound system around the house.
As far as the hardware setup will this work?