Warehouse Camera Placement

eatmorfood

n3wb
Reaction score
We have other cameras positioned to view general active areas.

But, as it was explained to me, management also wants to see down "most" of the aisles.

I bought a motorized verifocal cam and put it up in the ceiling yesterday, hoping it would cover at least two aisles
From the picture, it looks like I'm gonna have to put a camera on each aisle, mounted at the head of each aisle.

There are about 20 aisles in this part of the warehouse.
The aisles are quite long, so thinking the verifocal cam would be good in case someone wanted to zoom in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

aisles.png

Dahua IPC-HFW2320R-ZS-IRE6

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been in the warehouse biz for decades. Whate does management want to see exactly? A general overview of activity down each asile? What are the trying to accomplish? Do they have specific expectations?

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What does it look like when it is fully zoomed and what is the max zoom rating of the varifocal?

eatmorfood

n3wb
Reaction score
I spoke with management again this morning and said that eyes down "most" aisles isn't really a good guideline.
I also tried to get their expectations.

They essentially wanted to be able to identify an individual if they had to.
They don't necessarily need to see clear facial features as workers can probably be recognized by their supervisors if it came down to it.

I also walked out there and positioned myself as if I was the camera, and no matter where i was, there was never clear line of sight down more than 1 aisle.

We're going to re-position the camera at the head of the aisle and see if the verifocal cam is needed or if we can go with a cheaper fixed lens cam for these aisles.
Thinking we'd put the cameras alternating between the head and tail of the aisles.

There is a $5k budget.
If the verifocal is about $200 each x 20 - thats about $4k plus another $1k in network cable.
Im thinking it should come in just under budget.

They were thinking they wanted cams down the aisles of the other part of the building with the longer aisles (about 1/3 longer) and those will definitely need the verifocal.
But that would be another chunk of change they'd have to cough up @ 26 aisles.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What does it look like when it is fully zoomed and what is the max zoom rating of the varifocal? That would be a good way to determine the fixed lens you need. Also, you could mount the cameras sideways so that you have a portrait image rather than landscape. Then you would rotate the image in the camera image settings if needed. That is a big space. I would wonder if you could get better images by mounting the cameras say 1/3 into each aisle pointed downward to capture the whole aisle. It would get you some shots of the top of heads but other shots would be closer...

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm certain yu agree that my opinion is just my opinion...it's not my money, I don't have as much experience as a lot of other guys here, although I have been involved in the warehouse biz for a long time. Soooooo...

I'd tell management that there's a right way and a wrong way and the trade-off is cost. IMO, you may need to add some florescent lights to each aisle. In addition, I'd add a roof mounted camera (anything lower is going to get whacked and destroyed by lift trucks imo) looking down EACH END of EACH AISLE. This means that you're going to need 40 cameras for each of the 20 aisles. In addition, if you want facial recognition then you're going to need additional cameras to monitor choke-points which the workers pass through on their way to each aisle.

In addition, if I were you I keep in mind that you need to manage management's expectation and explain exactly what they can expect for the money they have spent. IMO additional lightening and 40 cameras is going to (at least) double your cost without giving you facial recognition...but it will provide clear video of the activity which occurs in each aisle.

Managing management's expectations will assure you you don't come out of the project looking bad.

eatmorfood

n3wb
Reaction score
Attached are what it looks like at 2.8mm and at 12mm - about 4x
2.8mm.pngzoomed.png

We have some of our hallway cameras pointed sideways so will definitely try that when we get this pointed down an aisle.

Im pretty easy going so all opinions are welcome. I take everything into consideration.
It would be irresponsible of me not to consult those more experienced with this stuff.
Im happy to have the opportunity to do so.

Currently we've got MANY florescent lights throughout the building.
All motion activated.
They are pretty much single file down the aisles and they put out a lot of light.

I actually work in the IT dept there so it makes it a little easier.
No real time constraints and while we're at it, I'll be helping to replace all the switches and AP's over the next few months.
The AP's are directional so one at the head and tail of the aisles, alternating.

Good call on the forklift whacking.
While I was hanging this one, a forklift ran into one of the metal columns you see in the pic....just glad no one was hurt.
Definitely gonna mount these to the ceiling like this one is but at the head of the aisle next, to test.

Thanks!

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try to out source the ethernet cable runs. I did all of the runs in our warehouse and it was a filthy job, although your warehouse looks cleaner than ours. It looks like a 12mm for each aisle might do it, but your going to have to mount them lower if you want one (1) camera for each aisle. You may be able to get away with just a few choke point cameras to capture faces and they move towards the aisle which they are going to.

eatmorfood

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I'm definitely not looking forward to the switch replacements.
The "black boxes" they are housed in are filthy with 10+ years of dust and dirt.

While i was mounting the camera, i just set the camera down on the rafter/rails of the ceiling and the nice white camera is no longer white...

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wear an old shirt, gloves, a beanie hat to cover your head and safety glasses.

Better yet, get someone else to do it and supervise!

vacation.gif

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Brings back a lot of old BAD memories of running cables in warehouses. But that was before they had motorized platforms. :)

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
just re-arrange your aisles in a radial pattern. problem solved with one PTZ. :)