Was thinking Lorex, now maybe not... Questions inside

foghat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Correct
I have a NVR5216-16P-4KS2E, two NVR4208-8P-4KS2, and a couple of XVR's as I run an HDCVI/IP camera mix at my home and Mom's.

The 52xx series has been the workhorse many here for some time, but I'd be looking at the newer Lite or Pro AI models if I was looking to buy a new one,
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/allProducts/100
Looping back to AI NVRs. Do you know, if a guy buys the AI cameras, is an AI NVR necessary to get the AI functionality? Or will a ‘plain Jane’ 5200 work and detect/use the AI features from the camera?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Good question, not entirely sure. It seems to be spotty and dependent on what is considered "AI".....I recently installed a 5216 for a buddy and it clearly has selections for Face recognition, Heat map, ANPR, and of course the IVS stuff. There seem to be some fine lines as to how AI is being defined...

foghat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good question, not entirely sure. It seems to be spotty and dependent on what is considered "AI".....I recently installed a 5216 for a buddy and it clearly has selections for Face recognition, Heat map, ANPR, and of course the IVS stuff. There seem to be some fine lines as to how AI is being defined...
I asked this over here too:

Dahua AI Series Thread

Will see what discussions come of it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah see that. I think this is one of those areas where you have to be careful of generalities..

I think the whole thing is in a state of transition. I know a reputable source here was at a Dahua event and they indicated that you would soon be able to buy the AI box (NVR) and use AI regardless of camera (IP or CVI). On the other hand some cameras are obviously now processing the AI themselves.

foghat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And further, I am still not sure that I really have any use cases for AI at my home setting.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I suppose Face ID and attributes (man, woman, beard, etc) might be nice...? dunno how much I need it...but one little gem in the new 5442 series is the ability to set IVS (Tripwire etc) to filter only humans or vehicles.... I'm using that now.

foghat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, I suppose Face ID and attributes (man, woman, beard, etc) might be nice...? dunno how much I need it...but one little gem in the new 5442 series is the ability to set IVS (Tripwire etc) to filter only humans or vehicles.... I'm using that now.
And this is different than what the tripwire in your 5216 nvr can do?