Washed out IP camera image Problem

kuy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, One 1080p camera has a view of the street about 150 feet away but all the vehicles and even the pavement are completely washed out for almost the whole day even in cloudy conditions. I have tried another (new working 720p ) cam with the same results. The Dahua NVR has no settings to fix it but perhaps one could adjust the cameras from a PC? If so can one access the switch (I have no router) from a win 7 64bit computer? I have tried all the camera addresses and even connected a camera or two directly to the PC and get an assortment of error messages such as "local area connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration" and other assorted excuses which be of little help to a senior with no networking knowledge. Have been searching the net and there are plenty other sufferers but so far no solutions that work. I do have several utilities which are supposed to find the cameras but the best they can do give the IP address .....(sometimes)...... it seems the computer still cannot find the cam or the switch by typing in the address. I also bought a USB/rj45 adapter in case there was a problem with the NVIDIA Ethernet but no joy with that either. Even hauled out my old XP machine one day so the trouble is doubtless a lack of expertise as opposed to hardware issues. Helpful advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like you have been unable to access the web admin page of your (unspecified, unknown) cameras in order to check and possibly optimise the video settings.
On the assumption that the cameras are ONVIF compatible - most are these days - you should be able to find the needed information about the cameras using the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device manager' from sourceforge.net
If you install it and run it - it should find your cameras and list them.
On the 'network settings' page you will see the IP address and the HTTP port that you will need to add to your browser address bar to access the camera web admin page. It will be something like:
http://<camera IP address>:port where <camera IP address> is the IP address shown in network settings, and :port is the number shown against Network Ports - which is likely to be 80.
You should also be able to see a view of the camera web admin login page under 'Web page'.
And under 'Live Video' you should be able to compare the image that you are presumably seeing on the Dahua NVR and see if it is also washed out.
The 'Imaging settings' may also allow you to experiment with the settings, though whether that's possible depends on the level of the camera's ONVIF implementation.

kuy

n3wb
Reaction score
It sounds like you have been unable to access the web admin page of your (unspecified, unknown) cameras in order to check and possibly optimise the video settings.
On the assumption that the cameras are ONVIF compatible - most are these days - you should be able to find the needed information about the cameras using the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device manager' from sourceforge.net
If you install it and run it - it should find your cameras and list them.
On the 'network settings' page you will see the IP address and the HTTP port that you will need to add to your browser address bar to access the camera web admin page. It will be something like:
http://<camera IP address>:port where <camera IP address> is the IP address shown in network settings, and :port is the number shown against Network Ports - which is likely to be 80.
You should also be able to see a view of the camera web admin login page under 'Web page'.
And under 'Live Video' you should be able to compare the image that you are presumably seeing on the Dahua NVR and see if it is also washed out.
The 'Imaging settings' may also allow you to experiment with the settings, though whether that's possible depends on the level of the camera's ONVIF implementation.
Thanks for the suggestions, All the cameras are some version of ONVIF and I do have the ONVIF Device Manager but always seem to get the same error message.
HD IPC
"There was no endpoint listening at http//192.168.1.36/onvif/device_service that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present for more details."
Thanks again

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's not so good - it seems like there is only a partial, unusable ONVIF implementation in the cameras. I've never seen that with ODM, and I've used it on many cameras.
It sounds like you need to get back to the seller with some complaints!
Check out what was being claimed about the cameras when you bought them.
Do you have the models / seller info so others can be aware of potential issues?

Reactions: kuy

kuy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again for the advice. Again I'm a novice at this but if it could help someone else here is what I did which so far seems to work. Changing the ethernet LAN settings to manual but with IE 11 it seems one also apearently needs to add the camera address to the compatability list for it to work but be ware if you have checked delete history on exit you will loose your list and have to re enter it again every time, sheesh! So I use cc cleaner to clean up the history and so far it hasn't deleted the compatability list. Took a lot of hours to figgure this out but perhaps it will help someone else.

kuy

n3wb
Reaction score
P.S. The washed out issue however couldn't be fixed in the camera settings but anyone know if some kind of makeshift filter in front of the lens would help? I tried a piece of smoked glass but if anything that only made it worse.... ( Just grabbing at straws now eh.)