Waterproof enough? Rotation of camera housing matter?

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Installed a temp camera to watch my nesting owl box. Been a while since I installed a camera. Does it matter which way the housing goes on the camera? Seems like it would be more water resistant installed like in picture 1, but I did picture 2 since i need this to be pointing up at the owl box. 3rd pic is of the temp rig. I put the water resistant housing on the rj45 jack. Dahua 5231R-ZE camera with PFA130 junction box.

Also, interesting how you have to loop tightly (almost crimp) the ethernet cable to fit all the camera cables inside the housing.

IMG_8180.JPGIMG_8181.JPGIMG_8182.JPG

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The mounting generally speaking is OK given it’s for temporary use. Regardless, the biggest issue and threat is that huge spool of Ethernet cable.

I’m going to assume it’s not outdoor (UV) rated cable never mind direct burial shielded cable?!?

A loop like what you have in that bucket is very nice antenna waiting for a collet call from Thor.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
o_O Is that camera on a pole, higher than the fence it is next to, really pointed towards the back of your neighbors house?

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The mounting generally speaking is OK given it’s for temporary use. Regardless, the biggest issue and threat is that huge spool of Ethernet cable.

I’m going to assume it’s not outdoor (UV) rated cable never mind direct burial shielded cable?!?

A loop like what you have in that bucket is very nice antenna waiting for a collet call from Thor.
Just in time for texas thunderstorm season. I’ll spread it out then. Plan is to run several lines in schedule 40 conduit with direct burial cable to get to side of house and backyard with grounds linked to main house ground before lines enter house…but…for now…yeah it’s a risk.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The actual orientation of the outer housing has zero impact on how weatherproof the camera is. The actual camera is the ball and that should be IP65 or higher rated right out of the box. Heck, you could hang the camera without the housing safely in terms of water/weather proofing.

Last edited:

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Found this thread on the forum for others who have similar question