Waterproofing PTZ Cam

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
After recently having a PTZ cam leak during a blowing rain, I'm looking for ideas on how to ensure that water doesn't break the seals on the housing, while leaving it able to freely pan and tilt.

I'm thinking maybe something like mechanic's grease; Something that water would not be able to penetrate through but would also not prevent the unit from spinning. Has anyone ever tried anything like this or have any kind of products they would recommend for such a job?

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
After recently having a PTZ cam leak during a blowing rain, I'm looking for ideas on how to ensure that water doesn't break the seals on the housing, while leaving it able to freely pan and tilt.

I'm thinking maybe something like mechanic's grease; Something that water would not be able to penetrate through but would also not prevent the unit from spinning. Has anyone ever tried anything like this or have any kind of products they would recommend for such a job?
Could you glue a small rubber skirt around the pendant part so blowing rain could not pass into the swivel joint ?

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Could you glue a small rubber skirt around the pendant part so blowing rain could not pass into the swivel joint ?
Perhaps for some of the areas, but not sure exactly how the water gets in. Could be different places..That's why I figured it would be best to just put some kind of waterproof grease around any possible joint I can find...There's lots of different stuff out there (silicone sprays, etc.) that I've found for good prices, but not sure what would be best to put on "moving joints"

Another idea was maybe wrapping the housing in plastic wrap with an opening for the lens. Tape around the opening to seal off water from getting into the edges there and have enough slack in the plastic wrap to where the cam can still pan/tilt....I'm sure this could be done with some creative thinking and trial and error testing, but could get a bit complicated...Would be much easier to do this on a stationary cam than one with moving parts.