Waterproofing the RJ45 connection on a camera for a very wet environment?

victorhooi

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to install some cheap cameras outdoors, in a greenhouse environment to monitor some plant pots. Hence, I need some kind of ingress protection against liquid spray etc and the high humidity.

I found the Amphenol RJB range, which are IP68 rated Ethernet connectors (overview video).

For completeness, here are other waterproofing alternatives I considered:
  • M12 Ethernet - but I don't have the tooling to field-terminate these easily, it seems like there's different keyings available, and I'm worried about compatibility/shielding etc.
  • Neutrik etherCon (connectors)
  • Lemo (product page, catalog, datasheet) - however, these are crazy expensive - it's over $100 per connector (Mouser link)

The Amphenol RJ range has both composite and metal shell versions, and you can have them in either threaded or bayonet style mounting. Also, they can be field-installed, which means you can just use your existing RJ45 plug ends, and pass them through.

(Assembly video for the plug side)

However, on the receptacle side I'm a little stumped. If you look at the FAQ here, they list the receptacle-side options:

CleanShot 2024-06-18 at 14.43.15@2x.png

Diagrams (source):
CleanShot 2024-06-18 at 14.51.53@2x.png

Type 1 is just a RJ45 socket on both sides (i.e. used to join two RJ45 patch cables together). This item comes with a cable gland as well, so you can waterproof the RJ45 plug you connect into the back of this as well.

There's also Type 2, which ends in a RJ45 pigtail - I could potentially plug that pigtail into the camera's RJ45 socket - but then I'd also need to waterproof that second connection as well. (I spoke to Amphenol - if you look at the diagram, you'll see the receptacle is actually designed to be panel-mounted. The idea is that when you use Type 2 - the actual pigtail itself is meant to be inside the device's enclosure, or another box - and isn't exposed to the elements).

Amphenol also offers solderable versions - you can then solder your Ethernet connections directly onto the PCB. However, I don't know if I trust myself soldering Ethernet cable directly onto a PCB, and still passing Ethernet specs?

The only option I can think that might work is to cut the factory socket off - and crimp my own Ethernet RJ45 plug-end directly to that. I found this video where somebody seems to do it:

That's something suggested in ipcamtalk cliff notes here, and there's a YouTube video of somebody doing it to a camera here

What do people think of that? Or which approach would you use it? It's going to be a potentially very wet/humid environment.

Also - I've noticed some cameras include a little plastic packet of silica pellets inside - are those designed to work perpetually? Or surely they wear out over time?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
All you need is a RJ45 cable gland that meets the wire type in use shielded / None Shielded . . .

Apply dielectric grease to all dead end connectors prior insertion and to the pins. Than enclose the ends in the gland - Done!

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
All you need is a RJ45 cable gland that meets the wire type in use shielded / None Shielded . . .

Apply dielectric grease to all dead end connectors prior insertion and to the pins. Than enclose the ends in the gland - Done!
That is what I have done. All my RJ-45 connectors get the dielectric grease treatment. So far, no problems, even in the heavy rain. I have used these in a couple of spots that I wanted to extend the cable. Again, they get the dielectric grease treatment.

Amazon.com: Tedgetal Waterproof RJ45 Connector 2 Pack IP68 Cat6/Cat5E/Cat5 Coupler Shielded for Outdoor Ethernet LAN Cable Extender Female to Female : Electronics

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.