Ways to lower CPU utilization?

troyh72

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for suggestions to lower my CPU utilization.

Hardware:
PC with a Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD and 2 TB Storage drive. I have everything on the SSD, except for the "Stored" folders, which are on the storage drive.

Cameras:
7 - SV3C ProHD 1080p 2MP cameras (wanting to go up to 10)

The camera's are at my small business, and they are all set to motion detection recording. At first, I had the cameras set to h.265, and for 7 cameras my CPU was on around 30-40% with most of the cameras idle. I switched them to h.264, and selected the "Intel HD harware acceleration" option, and didnt really help much.

When I pull up Task Manager, I notice that BI is using the GPU engine. I do not have a dedicated graphics card in the machine. Would adding something decent offload the CPU?

The reason I want to lower the CPU, is id like to add a few more camera's. My PC also is what I use for my POS. Its just a web based POS, so I only use Chrome. But at times, if a lot of cameras are recording in the background, it can become a little sluggish.

I dont really want to buy another PC right now, so im looking for options to better the performance. Open to all suggestions, thanks!