wd purple pro noisy drive seek

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
here is a WD84PURZ part number that i have. its an 8TB 5640 rpm deal.
Hmm... things I didn't pay enough attention to when I first started! There are two models of 8TB, 7200rpm (WD82PURZ) and 5640rpm (WD84PURZ). It seems that the 8TB 5640rpm could be the sweet spot for lower power / noise.

I'm contemplating swapping my 10TB WD Purple Pro with my 10TB WD RED 5400 RPM, and use the Purple Pro drive as a parity drive for my snapraid volume on the NAS. I can turn off the drive when the parity isn't being generated. A bit disappointed - I should've paid more attention before getting the purple pro. I was focusing on the claim that the Pro offers better reliability.

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
in Windows. like Defrag.
Somewhere in Windows settings. Don't remember, I googled it.
Thanks for the tips.

Hmmmmm I just found out that Windows, by default, has a weekly scheduled disk optimisation (as in defrag) and one just ran last night - at 1:48am. I noticed the drive noise at around 10-11pm, so perhaps that's when it started?

1634786042767.png

Anyhow, I've just disabled the check for the WD purple drive, leaving it to run only on the boot drive (SSD).

I'll see how it goes tonight when the house is quiet. Ideally I would like to leave the WD Purple Pro drive for Blue Iris as it was meant to be.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Rubber case mounts (washers)?

Vibrations only a problem if you transer it to the case / floor where it can be amplified.

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Rubber case mounts (washers)?
If I remember correctly, the HDD bracket has rubber grommets, no screws, and the computer itself has rubber feet. I think being in the cupboard makes it an echo chamber too. But hopefully it was the automatic defrag that made it noisy and now that I've disabled it, I won't have to move it out.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the HDD bracket has rubber grommets, no screws, and the computer itself has rubber feet. I think being in the cupboard makes it an echo chamber too. But hopefully it was the automatic defrag that made it noisy and now that I've disabled it, I won't have to move it out.
I think in my case the damned thing never got the drive defragmented, or it took days. With BI writing to it continuously, I don't think it ever got done. It would stop at times, especially if there was any activity on the computer - move the mouse I think stopped it.

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So far tonight I haven't noticed too much noise from the HDD, so I believe it must've been the weekly automatic defrag. Makes sense. I am usually very sensitive to noise, so I would've noticed it sooner if it was happening all the time. Now all I hear is the constant fan hum, which is fine as white noise. Thanks again!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Could also try standing the pc on a sound insulation mat.

If defraggings the issue, why not turn automatic defragging off and defrag it by hand at a time convenient to you?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Learnt something new! I could line the inside of the entire cupboard with this type of material
Beware insualting the cupboard as a side effect. You don't want the pc overheating. I'm surprised yo have it in a cupboard unless it's open backed as poor airflow could cause all sorts of issues.

If you use a sound insulation mat underneath, it should reduce the transmission of the vibration to the cupboard as the only wy for vibration to be transmitted is by direct contact with a surface so only your base via the feet is in contact and transmitting the sound. What will then happen is the vibration becomes amplified by the cupboard which actas as a "sounding board" ie speaker. Insulating the whole cupboard may reduce transmission by the cupbaord to the air, however, as I said, when you insulate you also insualte for heat so could increase temperatures inside. The 1st step in my opinion is reduce transmission from the PC to the cupboard through the feet. If that doesn't work you could consider other measures but beware the heat issue.

Also don't overlook manula dfragging. If defragging is the causes, simply turning it off and doing it at a time when it won't disturb you is a very simple answer. I don't think you can automatically specify a time, so it would be on you to remember, but it's not as if the world will end if you forget 1 day or are a few hours late. Easiest way is pick a"safe time" and do it the same day / time each week.

alwaysoff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also don't overlook manula dfragging. If defragging is the causes, simply turning it off and doing it at a time when it won't disturb you is a very simple answer. I don't think you can automatically specify a time, so it would be on you to remember, but it's not as if the world will end if you forget 1 day or are a few hours late. Easiest way is pick a"safe time" and do it the same day / time each week.
Should the video storage disk be defragged every now and then? I could just schedule it to happen during the day, or even better, when nobody's home.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can pick a scheduled time. Just schedule it for a convenient time. However, it might be worth researching at what time of day burglaries happen in your area - the police should have the statistsics as the last thing you want to do is to schedule it when you might be getting burgled!

I suggested manually running ti for 2 reasons:

1. You can run it at a time convienient to you

2. You're home so less liekly to be be burgled and if an event does occur, you can manually cancel the defrag and start recording.

A definite good place to start though it the crime statistics. You'd be surprised sometimes. eg where I live, the most prevalent time of the day is in the afternoon.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Just looked at my storage drive and it says 84% fragmented. Maybe time to run one?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a 10 TB drive so may take a while. Have another mostly unused drive in the machine that I can run storage to for a few days. Maybe I'll try that.