WD purple PRO vs WD purple

hermaninthehood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
noticed WD Purple PRO has been announced for a while on WD website, and now was just listed on amazon...

-anyone have any experience with the new WD purple PRO drives yet?

scanned thru the data sheets, seems the only difference (maybe i missed something) is:
-5yr warranty (PRO) vs 3yr (non pro),
-550 TB/year workload (PRO) vs 360 TB/year workload (non pro)
-CMR recording technology listed for PRO, not stated for non pro (to be honest looked it up quickly but don't know much about that)
anything else I miss?

-anyone have any experience with ANY of the 18TB purples? assuming NVR firmware can support with no issues.
(i did ask @EMPIRETECANDY about 18 tbs, he said he hadn't heard of anyone using em yet...)

...since i'm in the market for some new drives i guess the question is should wait for new PRO drives, or also wait to see if the non pro drop in price?

hermaninthehood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
interesting. 10TB Pro HD = $298 vs 10TB regular purple HD = $363
better tech in the PRO, longer lasting, cheaper.... win win!
i think that non pro purple price is a little (amazon) inflated.. i just noticed on WD shop website i believe prices listed are identical for both PRO and non pro in their respective size (though "notify me when available")
probably best to judge when they actually are available. as we all know amazon prices fluctuate, hopefully the non pro drop...