WD Red died. Should I get WD Purple or Seagate Skyhawk ?

Hazza06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
WD are just so hard to trust after the whole newer RED SMR drive debacle....sooo misleading and fraudulent...design for NAS, yeah my A$$....with much hesitation and consideration, just purchased a couple of 12TB purple drives for NVR....still trying to decide what to buy to replace my aging ( 10 year old, but still healthy ) WD green drives in my QNAP NAS...looking for some CMR red drives, avoiding SMR like the plague....

Last edited:

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What do we consider long vs not long?
as far as videos.. I wouldn't need to keep for more than 10 days at the most. - If I want to keep something, then I'll move a particular video to another partition on the same drive or a black drive for long term storage.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Long for me is about 120 - 160 days retention.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
as far as videos.. I wouldn't need to keep for more than 10 days at the most. - If I want to keep something, then I'll move a particular video to another partition on the same drive or a black drive for long term storage.
makes sense. Stick it in an archive.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Long for me is about 120 - 160 days retention.
OK got it. Will be curious once I start playing where I end up with both space and requirements. It is my first venture into the space, so I wasn't sure what to even consider as a target. 30 days, was my guess, but I could see the need for longer in certain situations.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I keep about a weeks worth of video currently but do want to expand that to about a month, budget dependent. If something does happen I export the appropriate clips and copy the BVR file to another drive or BluRay.

Reaction score
In 30 years using hard drives (my 1st having a massive 20Mb capacity) only 2 have ever failed, both were Seagate. I also have a Seagate NAS which they have stopped supporting so can no longer be accessed outside my network. I'd never buy anything from them again :(