WD Red vs WD Purple vs others

autobahn

n3wb
Reaction score
Any comments on these?

Obviously WD brands purple as surveillance drives, but any practical notion in using these over less expensive options? Are people seeing issues using other brands/models of spinning disk?

This will be for an 8-10cam HD setup.

ilikebike

n3wb
Reaction score
Go Purple if you can. Hardware is the same but the firmware is better tuned for multiple recording streams and to ignore most single bit errors.

grimloktt

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a boatload of WD 3TB Reds in my Plex Media Server, and a single 3TB Purple for my Blue Iris drive:

View attachment 10253
What enclosure (server?) is that? I'm trying to figure out how to set-up my next surveillance network. I just learned of WD Purple for cameras. I would also like a NAS for movies, data, etc. It appears you also have yours set up to do both? Do you like it/recommend it or recommend something else? Thnx!

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What enclosure (server?) is that? I'm trying to figure out how to set-up my next surveillance network. I just learned of WD Purple for cameras. I would also like a NAS for movies, data, etc. It appears you also have yours set up to do both? Do you like it/recommend it or recommend something else? Thnx!
It's a Lian-Li case (343-B) that was never available in the U.S. so I found and ordered one from Norway. Even with the shipping it was a great deal and worked perfectly into the plans I had for a Large Plex Server (You'll find me hanging out on the Plex Forums often as well). I really love the case. I have 11 fans in it being run from two digital controllers. It runs so cool that I only have 4 of the fans running at any given time (blowing onto the back of the 14 drive trays). Very nearly silent... believe it or not... which was my first criteria since it resides in the middle of my home theatre. I could have gone with a Rack-Mount solution, but I didn't want my theatre to sound like a Google Data Center.

I have 12 3TB WD Reds on board, 6 running redundant mirrors of the 6 others, and 1 3TB WD Purple for my cameras.
I've heard so many horror stories about RAID arrays, and Drive Pools crashing to the ground because one drive was installed on a Tuesday while the motherboard wasn't facing East or there wasn't enough sacraficial blood spattered on the controller or the blah, blah, blah... Drives have become so cheap that my redundancy just works. And my O.S. (Win10) handles the C, D, E, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z drives just fine. I have a little program that mirrors data drive-to-drive at 3:00am, 3:15am, 3:30am, 3:45am... well you get the drift. I also have dual 512GB SSD's, so even the O.S. drive is redundant (at the moment I'm still figuring out how to do this). If I lose a drive, I swap the mirror to the other drive bay, shove another drive in the bad bay, and wake up to a rebuilt server. No fuss, no muss.

Of course, so far... that hasn't happened.

And yes... if the whole thing goes up in smoke because my studio burns down... I expect I'll be worried about more important things than the fact that I have to re-rip all my Andy Griffith Show, Gilligan's Island, Hogans Heroes DVD's and every episode of M*A*S*H since the invention of Green Army Canvas.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 4TB and a 6Tb Purple cooking just fine.. buy the purple if the only use is surveillance.

attaching picture just to show up JMartin

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not at all.. I used big 4U chassis with water cooling for the servers.. iirc the PoE midspan is the loudest piece of equipment and its far from jet noise.

from outside the room you cannot hear anything at all.. and inside I use big fans at low speed, its not screaming like normal datacenter cabinets.

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Started to water cool my Server, got some parts (radiators, fans, etc...), but then I decided I was going overboard.
Still... would have been fun to complete.

Got my inspiration from this:

Awesome.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I didnt go that overboard, nobody can see inside em.. I just opted for something simple like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181030

primarily because I dont have airconditioning in my house, I use evaporative cooling and on really hot days outside it's pretty warm inside.. 25-30 degrees below outside is the best I can achieve, so if its 100F outside, its 75F inside.. like right now for example heh.

one way or another I was looking at a big expensive cooler, water cooling is alot cheaper and easier than it used to be.

grimloktt

n3wb
Reaction score
I didnt go that overboard, nobody can see inside em.. I just opted for something simple like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181030

primarily because I dont have airconditioning in my house, I use evaporative cooling and on really hot days outside it's pretty warm inside.. 25-30 degrees below outside is the best I can achieve, so if its 100F outside, its 75F inside.. like right now for example heh.

one way or another I was looking at a big expensive cooler, water cooling is alot cheaper and easier than it used to be.
OP; sorry to hijack your thread...

Neyr,

Any chance you could look at my thread here and perhaps provide any of your recommendations? I'd love to do the right research first so that I only have to buy once! :D Thank you!!!

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/11871-Help-me-select-hardware-dome-cameras-POE-switch-monitoring-software-storage-solut?p=107344#post107344