Weather station suggestions

mudflap5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My Davis Vantage Pro2 has been running for almost 14 years now, with no issues. Davis is top shelf when it comes to accuracy and reliability. You get what you pay for.

+1 on the Davis Weather stations. You do get what you pay for!

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Are there any apps on these in order to view remotely? Or has anyone integrated them into their home automation?

keneil01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are there any apps on these in order to view remotely? Or has anyone integrated them into their home automation?
Tempest supports IFTTT. I use it to control my automower and irrigation. It has a app.

Have been considering to connect my camera and AI to turn on the irrigation when a cat walks by. They poop on my lawn!!

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Gave the wife this on this past Christmas (she LOVES following the weather), as in late fall the 8 year old Davis Instruments VantageVue gave up the ghost, likely to lightning:

Ambient Weather WS-2902C WiFi Smart Weather Station

Uploads every 2 minutes to AmbientWeather here and to Weather Underground (wunderground) here.

We are very happy with it. It was easy to set up and has been very dependable and accurate; upload hiccups to WU are NOT BI Tool's fault....WU is about as dependable as my bladder! :highfive:
I agree with this. 2902C is a well regarded station. And Ambient is very good with support.
Ambient branded stations are rebadged Ecowitt, with Ambients custom firmware.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I agree with this. 2902C is a well regarded station. And Ambient is very good with support.
Ambient branded stations are rebadged Ecowitt, with Ambients custom firmware.
I have a 2902C and really like it. I have not integrated into my system yet, Homeseer. But my understanding is that guys would connect to Wunderground, and pull in that way. But Wundergound really hosed up their API a year or so back, so that may have changed.

I don't really have a use-case for this, so I haven't really looked into it much.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 2902C and really like it. I have not integrated into my system yet, Homeseer. But my understanding is that guys would connect to Wunderground, and pull in that way. But Wundergound really hosed up their API a year or so back, so that may have changed.

I don't really have a use-case for this, so I haven't really looked into it much.
Yeah, WU has been hosed off and on for a couple of years now. :(

I believe you can get API's from Ambient Weather that you might get to work with HS.

SirMeili AmbientWeather Software Plugin for HS3

Reaction score

We use the Ambient Weather PI for HomeSeer and use the populated devices to, as an example, control our heating and cooling. Another example is when it is snowing, we turn off motion detection in BI in some of our cameras.

CenterDev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My Davis Vantage Pro2 has been running for almost 14 years now, with no issues. Davis is top shelf when it comes to accuracy and reliability. You get what you pay for.
Any suggestion on where to get the best price on VP2?

I've had VP1 for 19 years, and it is time for a new one...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
www.provantage.com used to have the lowest prices, may still be.
Or

Or
www.ambientweather.com
Provantage is where I bought the Davis Provantage 2 6153 many years ago. Honestly, I think you will need to really shop around. I bought a maintenance kit for the fan aspirated part of the sensor suite via Provantage and only paid $34 for it a few years ago. It included a new fan, (2) NiCad batteries and some other parts. Provantage didn't stock the item, so it was shipped directly from Davis. I have to say, never a problem with buying Davis gear from Provantage.

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Haven't compared prices, but there's also:

I think I bought my vantage pro 2 from Provantage back in 2005... it now desperately needs either a refurb or replacement...

Reaction score
Haven't compared prices, but there's also:

I think I bought my vantage pro 2 from Provantage back in 2005... it now desperately needs either a refurb or replacement...
Nice. Excellent pricing on the 6153 model.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As has been said, you get what you pay for. AcuRite tends to have a short life. Less than a year in my case.

I have a NetAtmo weather station and it lasted 6 hrs. They sell different modules for indoor, outdoor, rain, wind etc.

The rain gage on my first unit was accurate compared to my manual gage. New one isn’t and even after calibrating is under measures rain fall.

The indoor unit also measures Co2 which helped me identify a problem. 3 dogs in tightly sealed/insulated garage had elevated Co2 levels. Would not have known without the indoor unit. Added some powered ventilation and back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I gots the Ambient 2902C (?) weather station I bought new last year. It does integrate with Home Assistant with the Ambient add-on and API (not happy I have to rely on API/cloud ... there is a module that will pull the RF signal directly but that is a future consideration). I initially bought the weather station to keep an eye on the wind speed for my drone use. I will be using the lumen light sensor to automate on HA day/night cycles (outdoor lights, Dahua profile changes, etc). The outdoor temp, of course, is also handy. And once I install new sod and sprinkler system using my new Z-wave Ranchio sprinkler controller, the Ambient/Home Assistant will do further magic together.
I researched a bunch of weather stations before purchasing this one. I believe, Acurite stations had the highest complaints, yet the most sold while being the most affordable. Ambient station seemed to be the better station for low-end range.

Last edited: