Web access to DH-IPC-PDW5849-A180-E2-ASTE and WebPlugin

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am connecting to the EmpireTech 180 camera (DH-IPC-PDW5849-A180-E2-ASTE) via a browser and along the bottom of the screen is the message:
To use this function, please download and install the plug-in. Click here to download.

When I attempt to download the Webplugin.exe from the link MS Edge says that it is an unsafe file, and BitDefender shows the following:
Code:
We blocked this dangerous page for your protection:
http://192.168.0.221/webplugin.exe
Threat name: Trojan.GenericKD.64028909
Dangerous pages attempt to install software that can harm the device, gather personal information or operate without your consent.
What functionality does this plugin give me, and is it safe to download?

Thanks,

Eric

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is best to use Internet Explorer (yeah we know, we know). It may or may not work in Edge.

That file is fine. That file allows you to see the live stream and some of the features of the camera.

Keep in mind how the "unknown Publisher" or "potential virus" messages are generated (just called virus moving forward in the rest of this post for simplicity).

It is not a virus, rather it is whatever antivirus you are using has flagged it as a potential virus. Some programs look at the total number of users and below a certain number, it is flagged. These specialty type files/programs get false positives all the time.

You can check the file with VirusTotal , an antivirus website owned by Google that runs it thru a lot of different antivirus algorithms.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I normally wouldn't have been concerned, but triggering MS Defender, BitDefender and KAV on a different machine, was the concern.
I am accustomed to the browser telling me that a file isn't safe and then having to "keep it" in order for it to download.

Thanks,

Eric