Web Power Switch price increase

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of you may know about the Web Power Switch by Digital Loggers. 8 remotely switchable outlets for $130. A couple months ago apparently the price went up to $195 (a 50% price hike). They're also launching a new "Pro" model of web power switch that includes wifi (why the hell would I want this?) at $169. Either way, it is a higher price, and I've personally had 3 out of 9 web power switches fail so I'm not enthusiastic about continuing to buy their products.

Anyone know of a good alternative?

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an EPCR5 from them, bummer about the price increase for the other models. What do the failure modes look like? How long in service? I have both APC and Raritan managed/metered PDUs at work but they are significantly more expensive and have weak scripting/API capabilities compared to DL. I always felt DL found themselves in a unique niche pro-sumer market and at a nice price point.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In my experience when one of the relays fails the outlet will no longer turn on. My most recent web power switch failure, when I try to turn a failed outlet on or off it instead blinks on for a split second and turns back off.

I have an Ubiquiti mPower-Pro now that I'm going to try instead of buying another web power switch (it cost only $68 used). As I understand it, it doesn't have a standalone web interface of its own for outlet control, but I should be able to SSH into it to control outlets according to an amazon review.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to be possible to set device names (maybe that requires the mFi controller software). But the controls in the web browser work fine. For some reason it uses a web socket to do outlet controls which makes it more difficult to automate with other software.

No AutoPing like a web power switch has.

But per-port voltage and power usage readouts are nice!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

Benak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not planning on using this for automation right away. Mostly I want to be able to remotely reboot things if they become unresponsive while I'm not at home. Thanks for the API links, @tangent and @Nathan. Those will come in handy if I ever decide I need to automate one of the outlets.

I also came across this Solved: mpower - how to change port name without mfi controler? - Ubiquiti Networks Community which will definitely be useful.
Not the cheapest but has alarms for low or high temp too:

http://tyconsystems.com/index.php/products/tycon-power/tpdin-monitor-web/751-tpdin-monitor-web2

No AC rated relay contacts but you could add a relay and drive that DC coil to switch AC devices