Web Server Problem

john0207

n3wb
Reaction score
hello,

I have a problem with my web server, the setup of the server in BI goes fine, I had already forwarded port 443. The server is verified as "BlueIris-HTTP/1.1" and when I check "Open Port Check Tool" it says my isp is not blocking port :443.

However the server will not show up when using the wan address , I have tried edge and ie without success.

The local address does show the webserver though, but here is the weird bit, I can access the wan address from my android phone, but only with the wifi turned off.

I have reset my router ( sky hub ) to factory settings and also reinstalled bi and I still get the same problem, I a bit stumped , does anyone have any ideas.

Also BI is up to date with the latest release.

Last edited:

john0207

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like this may be a browser issue, I had to leave the house and checked the wan address on my android mobile phone and I could connect to the server with the goggle browser, still cant acces it on any desktop browsers though, no idea why...

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I believe your issues is that google chrome automatically adds https:// so you need to explicitly type in http:// at the beginning.

john0207

n3wb
Reaction score
Just Tried that , unfortunately it didn't work, tried in both edge and internet explorer, if I remove the port from the address I get my router..so it must be an issue with the port forwarding, although I can connect with my phone?

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
honestly I would try another port as 443 is typically used for HTTPS traffic. I would switch it to 81 for now just to test. Also by phone do you mean the blue iris app?

john0207

n3wb
Reaction score
I have had the server working before on port 81, but I think there are other issues at hand as the 2 cameras I had working have both just gone off, I have a record of the ip addresses and ports and passwords ect. but I am unable to connect them with bi, although I can connect to one of them through its own supplied software? I believe there may be an issue with the pc BI is installed on , so I am going to test on another PC and see what happens and will try port 81, I do not have the android app for BI, I just use the web browser on my phone for accessing remotely.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have had the server working before on port 81, but I think there are other issues at hand as the 2 cameras I had working have both just gone off, I have a record of the ip addresses and ports and passwords ect. but I am unable to connect them with bi, although I can connect to one of them through its own supplied software? I believe there may be an issue with the pc BI is installed on , so I am going to test on another PC and see what happens and will try port 81, I do not have the android app for BI, I just use the web browser on my phone for accessing remotely.
For not able to access WAN IP address from inside network: I just reread you initial post. If you are trying to reach http://yourpublicipaddress:port while internal that is not necessary. Your router may block this type of communication I think. Even if it's not the router blocking it there is no reason to access your webserver this way. Basically your telling your router to go to the internet to access the server when the server is on your network so no need to do that. When you are on your own network just go to http://yourBlueIrisPrivateIPaddress:port. Your private IP address for Blue iris is either 192.X.X.X, 10.X.X.X or 172.X.X.X. If this works while you are on network then no need to try to go to the public IP address when you are internal.

For the cameras not connecting in BI: From the Blue Iris server I would try to launch command prompt and ping the IP addresses of the cameras. If it gets a reply you should be able to access the cameras from Blue Iris. If not something else might be going on. Check the IP address of the blue iris server and make sure it is on the same subnet as the cameras.

john0207

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Philip , yes I understand that now, pointless trying to access that way when its not needed.

Well I have installed BI on my laptop and it picked up my two cameras straight away, so it looks like the desktop I was using has some network issues, so I'm just going to reinstall windows on that machine and start again, at least now I think I know what the problem is, but time will tell I guess.

The machine I was using :-

Windows 10 Pro
FX 4350
8gb ram
GTX 750Ti

it also has 3 x 500gb HDD, as I was previously using it as a media server , but have now switched to a NAS.

One thing I'm not sure of is, should I zero write the c: on the machine or just try the "Reset PC " option?

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I doubt you actually need a reinstall to solve your issue. But tough to say without more information on the issue and some troubleshooting. There's nothing wrong with reinstalling if you wish though. I sometimes like to reinstall and start over in certain scenarios. I would personally format the C and start over. @fenderman usually recommends using the windows 10 media creation tool.

Download Windows 10

There are instructions about reinstalling windows 10 pro on an existing workstation. I'm not 100% familiar off the top of my head with the process so may want to read the instructions before you begin.

john0207

n3wb
Reaction score
I agree that a reinstall maybe overkill, but troubleshooting would be a long exhaustive procedure for me so its probably quicker in the long run especially considering how quickly a reinstall can be done now.

I have used the media creation tool before , so hopefully that will cure my problems and should be back up and running soon.

I will update with good news soon , hopefully.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree that a reinstall maybe overkill, but troubleshooting would be a long exhaustive procedure for me so its probably quicker in the long run especially considering how quickly a reinstall can be done now.

I have used the media creation tool before , so hopefully that will cure my problems and should be back up and running soon.

I will update with good news soon , hopefully.
Have you confirmed that the Windows 10 firewall has rules applied to reach everything?

By the way, edit out your public address in your first post above, not a good idea to have it listed here.

Also, port forwarding anything isn't a good idea.

VPN Primer for Noobs

john0207

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you confirmed that the Windows 10 firewall has rules applied to reach everything? BI is allowed through, what else needs to be allowed for server access?.

By the way, edit out your public address in your first post above, not a good idea to have it listed here. taken care of thanks for that .

Also, port forwarding anything isn't a good idea. of course, I understand that , but what other option are there. ?

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just Tried that , unfortunately it didn't work, tried in both edge and internet explorer, if I remove the port from the address I get my router..so it must be an issue with the port forwarding, although I can connect with my phone?
It sounds to me like you're using the wrong IP address. The LAN should be the IP address of your BI server not your router.

john0207

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, thanks I understand that now, well I have reinstalled windows an its working fine now, although I did have to change something in the advanced sharing. I had to turn off automatic setup of network devices and then BI could see all of the cameras.

Anyway , all is well now, many thanks for the help and advice, its most appreciated.

john0207

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks , that's very interesting, I will definitely look into that..