Webserver not working on rebuild

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can't make this stuff up... so I am right back to where I was when I started this thread. I deleted the dns domain and account, restarted BI and it switched the web server ip back to the normal internal LAN ip (192.168.1.118) but it doesn't route anywhere, can't ping the NIC, nothing. The router shows the PC on the network on its usual ip, .118, but pings from the router utility or command prompt get 100% packet loss. Tried rebooting router and BI PC several times no help. I guess I'll go have lunch and see if the router sorts itself again.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is the windows network troubleshoot dialog. Nothing regarding my firewall or anything else has changed.

NIC_NoPing.JPG

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, all figured out. Somehow the network on the PC running the BI server was set for "public" so it could see everything else on the LAN but not much else on the LAN could see it. Not sure how or when that happened. Maybe some big windows update? Who knows. I'm done. Sorry for the adventure... maybe this will help someone else who runs into this wall.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, all figured out. Somehow the network on the PC running the BI server was set for "public" so it could see everything else on the LAN but not much else on the LAN could see it. Not sure how or when that happened. Maybe some big windows update? Who knows. I'm done. Sorry for the adventure... maybe this will help someone else who runs into this wall.
Its why I hate Windows. Too much hand holding and they hide pertinant information like firewall settings behind multiple screens. Even if you disable certain firewall settings, Windows is "smart enough" to think you really messed up and didn't mean to do that so it turns stuff back on without you knowing.

I only use Windows where I have to (basically my BI installations). Everything else is Linux.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup, it's a PITA. When I couldn't ping the BI PC from my other desktop I tried pinging the other way and was successful. That got me looking at the BI PC NIC settings. Arrrgh. Basically cost myself a whole day for basically nothing.

Its why I hate Windows. Too much hand holding and they hide pertinant information like firewall settings behind multiple screens. Even if you disable certain firewall settings, Windows is "smart enough" to think you really messed up and didn't mean to do that so it turns stuff back on without you knowing.

I only use Windows where I have to (basically my BI installations). Everything else is Linux.