WebSocketServer.exe?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I noticed this process running on my old Win7 laptop recently. Like in the past 4 weeks. Shows to be from Dahua.

Now I see its also running on my new Win11 laptop. Any ideas on what it is?

I see it lives here
C:\Program Files (x86)\webrec\Torch\5.0.412649.0

All files in that folder appear to be from 12/29 or newer

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I guessed. Shouldn’t be running as an automatic service I wouldn’t think….

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I trust those plug-ins even less than I do the cams. ; )

I'd guess that it's (as named) a websockets server. Which would explain why it's running as a service. Why it's there... :idk:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't think to look on my computers here earlier but I don't see it running on any of 3 that I regularly use to view and change Dahua cams both very old and newer.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Same. Don't have any with the new web interface. That might be it. Though I do see some earlier references to the file in a quick search. Maybe doesn't stick around in earlier firmware.

Hmmm... on second thought, can an HTML5 web interface launch a service on your computer like that? If so, then that's even more scary. lol ActiveX could do lots of things which is why it's no longer supported but didn't think that was possible now with the way things like that were sandboxed.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhh... so it needs some permission to launch it. Was wondering how that could be.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not initially on setup that I saw. Only after I shut down the service and started the UI again did I get the prompt.
So on initial startup it may have installed along with the plug-in prompt.

Wish I had paid closer attention which browser I was using on initial startup, this is Edge. I’ll try others and see if it prompts for it…

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
When i updated the FW and did a full factory reset, the UI again asked to access the websocketserver.exe service on initial login. I declined and everything works.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just looked and I have that file on mine as well. Date corresponds to around when I got the 4K/T.

It won't let me delete it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It stays shut down once you stop the service, as long as you deny it access when you load the 4K-T UI

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just opened the 4K/T GUI and it didn't ask for it to be opened and it didn't magically appear back in that location.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
hmmm.. may be browser dependent, Im using edge with IE mode "allowed" on Win 11

I hadnt tried to delete it though.. I'll do that