Weird IP Confusion With Blue Iris 5?

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am a relatively surveillance noob and learning to use Blue Iris 5. I have a dedicated local computer running BI5. So far I have only added one wireless video doorbell to Blue Iris. It is a Nelly's Security DB-1, but it's made by Hikvision. Before adding the doorbell to BI5, I was already using a Hikvision app for live remote viewing and to store video on a micro SD card. I've done no port forwarding and I can view my front porch on my cell phone anywhere. Once I purchase the BI app for the cell phone, I don't plan on using the Hikvision app. But this is what's weird to me.

In BI5 on the web server page, under "local, internal (LAN) access" it shows and "interfaces" same public IP. The drop down menu for "interfaces" also lists the local IP address of my dedicated computer, but it wasn't chosen. Both public IP addresses were entered by BI5 when I added the doorbell. I believe I can (and should) override these two entries with the true local IP address of my computer. But I'm trying to understand why these public IP addresses might be filled in automatically. Do you think these public IPs might be the relay server that my Hikvision app connects to in order to show me live video when I'm away from home? Is there another explanation? I do not believe my home network has been hacked. When I did an IP location search however, it did list the IP address as being in Iran. :wow::wow::wow:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am a relatively surveillance noob and learning to use Blue Iris 5. I have a dedicated local computer running BI5. So far I have only added one wireless video doorbell to Blue Iris. It is a Nelly's Security DB-1, but it's made by Hikvision. Before adding the doorbell to BI5, I was already using a Hikvision app for live remote viewing and to store video on a micro SD card. I've done no port forwarding and I can view my front porch on my cell phone anywhere. Once I purchase the BI app for the cell phone, I don't plan on using the Hikvision app. But this is what's weird to me.

In BI5 on the web server page, under "local, internal (LAN) access" it shows and "interfaces" same public IP. The drop down menu for "interfaces" also lists the local IP address of my dedicated computer, but it wasn't chosen. Both public IP addresses were entered by BI5 when I added the doorbell. I believe I can (and should) override these two entries with the true local IP address of my computer. But I'm trying to understand why these public IP addresses might be filled in automatically. Do you think these public IPs might be the relay server that my Hikvision app connects to in order to show me live video when I'm away from home? Is there another explanation? I do not believe my home network has been hacked. When I did an IP location search however, it did list the IP address as being in Iran. :wow::wow::wow:
are you using a paid vpn service?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No I'm not. I know vpns can be very good, but I haven't tried that route yet.
no, a paid vpn is useless. That could explain the strange ip. using the BI pc, google "what is my ip" see if the result matches.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I did that it returned the WAN IP for my router, as listed in BI5 under "Remote, external (WAN/Internet) access". The public IPs in the local section are different. And I'm not using any VPN. Any ideas besides someone likes watching my front porch in Iran? :oops:

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Settings, Web Server, Local internal access IP address is
  1. the address provided by your router's DHCP service or
  2. the address manually entered into Windows network configuration

From another device or two within your network, what are their IP address? Also within the 5.2xx.2xx.* subnet?

The two 2xx numbers wouldn't be 255 would they? Kinda looks like a mask (or part of a mask) was entered as your DHCP server's IP address. Nothing would prevent a PUBLIC IP range from being used as a PRIVATE network, as the Modem/Router would separate the internal network from the internet. (not recommended as this could create some interesting conditions)

Not really related to BI, but rather observed when checking IP's from BI's settings.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I assigned a static IP to my surveillance computer and most of the computers on my network. They all have normal private IP addresses.

I wasn't able to manually override the public IP address that was present in "local, internal (LAN) access". But I was able to choose the correct private IP address in the drop down menu for "interfaces". Once I chose the private IP address there that was listed, and restarted BI, the "local, internal (LAN) access" also updated to the correct IP. I have a Netgear NAS that uses a virtual network adapter called "Leaf Networks Adapter". When I did a cmd prompt and ran ipconfig /all that virtual adapter was assigned that weird public IP address. I don't know why, but that virtual adapter must be what confused Blue Iris.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've looked up Netgear's NAS systems and Leaf Networks Adapter; seems that Netgear's "clould" connection is basically a private VPN which allows authorized clients to share NAS resources. This could explain why you can access BI internally (LAN) and externally (cell) without explicitly enabling port forwarding.... for BI. I'm presuming there are default port forwarding enabled during ReadyCloud's installation and configuration along with generation of public/private keys.

BI allows you to choose from any available interface (real or virtual) available on the system to be used as the web server's IP address. I presumed a single physical NIC and no VPN of any type; my bad.

Having changed BI to now use the physical NIC rather than the virtual (NAS) IP address do you still have access to your video feeds via the HK app on your phone? (cellular not WiFi... you may not)