Weird PTZ mounting location help

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking for advice. I want to mount my new PTZ under a front porch so pretty much only the actual camera portion (black in color) is visible from the street.

As shown in the photos, the wood beams are slightly shorter than the ptz mount screw holes.

What would you do?

Just big bolts in the bottom holes and none for the top holes?

Get a piece of wood cut at home depot that is tall enough for the four ptz mount holes and then screw that piece of wood into the wood beam?

20210622_210122.jpg

Thanks for your ideas!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hi CJ

Actually 2 screws also can work well if the beam is strong enough,
Also can add a panel on the beam to lock the left 2 screws, or else use pfb300c+pfa111.

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately the other side beam is the same height, just optical illusion seeing the wood behind the beam with a gap (I guess unless I used some long bolts to span that gap). I've got a pfa120 ready too.

Can it not mount on the other side as that looks tall enough and I would use a PFA120 backbox to make sure it makes a good waterproof seal for your connections.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
really depends on your needs.. what do you want to see on your ptz?
do you want to see everything outside the porch or just want to see everything under the porch

I find that one camera cannot do both jobs properly.. there will be times that some views will be obstructed..

why not do the bucket test / temp install first before deciding what to do with it.

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It will be just one of five cams in the front, looking in the front yard right in front of this porch and optex PIR motion alarm trigger to a preset of the front door area (just an alternative angle for another overview cam). This spot has good views of both (small area), but just thinking through the most stable way to screw in the top screws of the mount.

really depends on your needs.. what do you want to see on your ptz?
do you want to see everything outside the porch or just want to see everything under the porch

I find that one camera cannot do both jobs property.. there will be times that some views will be obstructed..

why not do the bucket test / temp install first before deciding what to do with it.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
then secure top two screws like what this member has done.

1624506274791.png

Dingoboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for advice. I want to mount my new PTZ under a front porch so pretty much only the actual camera portion (black in color) is visible from the street.

As shown in the photos, the wood beams are slightly shorter than the ptz mount screw holes.

What would you do?

Get a piece of wood cut at home depot that is tall enough for the four ptz mount holes and then screw that piece of wood into the wood beam?

View attachment 93305

Thanks for your ideas!
I would cut a block of wood to use as a standoff behind the exposed mount holes, then make sure I have screws long enough to go through the standoff into the beam (drilling holes into the standoff to make sure it doesn't split when putting screw through it of course).

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

What would you do?

View attachment 93305

Thanks for your ideas!
If the beam you are holding against is truly solid, and not hollow, Two properly sized lag screws in the bottom two holes, with washers will hold that just fine. Be sure to drill pilot holes first.

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All great ideas, thanks folks. What type of lag screws do you guys use for the ptz mounting brackets?

If the beam you are holding against is truly solid, and not hollow, Two properly sized lag screws in the bottom two holes, with washers will hold that just fine. Be sure to drill pilot holes first.