weird thing happened to my cat 6 runs to my gate and driveway camera switches

Reaction score
measured length run to switch one is 241 feet to the first netgear switch gs108pp that has 4 cameras on it including one DS-2DF8C842IXS-AELW two IPC-HFW7442H-Z4-X one IPC-B5442E-Z4E

on the other side of he driveway is is the same switch with 4 cameras. the first switch cut off after someone cut the cat 6 running to the camera at 1:45 am. I ran a new temp cable from the switch to use a that camera, replaced the switch and the POE injector to the speed dome but I could not get a feed from switch to the main switch in the house so I ran a cat 7 over the driveway and fed the first switch from the other line.e
my question is when testing the cables it says the first one is 250 feet longer than it is. so do I use a network booster ? pull the 4 cables out and pull in new shielded cables? the run is 140 feet of 3/4 grey pvc to a pull box than 80 feet to the gate column that has the opener and switch on it.

is this a good one range extender

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
the first switch cut off after someone cut the cat 6 running to the camera at 1:45 am.
Just the cable, or did they damage conduit, etc?
And just 1 CAT6 cable to 1 camera, or ??

I ran a new temp cable from the switch to use a that camera, replaced the switch and the POE injector to the speed dome but I could not get a feed from switch to the main switch in the house so I ran a cat 7 over the driveway and fed the first switch from the other line.e
My first thought was
How are the switches powered? Sorry, there are small 4-port PoE switches, and cutting cable could have caused electrical damage to PoE connected devices
So, even if switches not PoE powered, I'd still be inclined to do some through checking/testing of the switch (single port if AC wall wart powered) or entire device if PoE powered switch (ie switch and downstream devices all powered by upstream PoE port)

But you said you replaced switch and PoE injector. I hope you got a PoE switch instead... wait, the gs108pp switch is already PoE... why also using an injector????

my question is when testing the cables it says the first one is 250 feet longer than it is. so do I use a network booster ? pull the 4 cables out and pull in new shielded cables? the run is 140 feet of 3/4 grey pvc to a pull box than 80 feet to the gate column that has the opener and switch on it.
And here you lost me
As for cable length... depends on the tester... reliable modern testers are really expensive... (I have a 25+ yr old model, current CAT6+ versions are well over US$1K...) you could be simply dealing with a flaky reading, for whatever reason.
And, was cable from house to driveway switch damaged? or only cable from switch to camera? and as asked above, 1 cable, or cables to all 4 cameras?
And if I gather correctly that the CAT6 cable cut was from driveway switch to camera, why did you replace the switch & PoE injector at all?
And have you tested with a new patch cable from existing camera to known working switch, and confirmed camera undamaged from PoE cable being cut?

I'm a big fan of K.IS.S. I'd take other driveway switch (known currently working) and plug into the place on the other side (the switch you replaced?) And then run temp patch cable over to same camera that switch connected to (ie other side of driveway). Does that work? if yes, the cable from house to that location is probably fine, right? There is some other testing I'd do, but that's because I have managed PoE switches...

Reaction score
Just the cable, or did they damage conduit, etc?
And just 1 CAT6 cable to 1 camera, or ??
just the cable as it was buried 6" alongside the conduit that runs from the switch to the speed dome.

My first thought was
How are the switches powered? Sorry, there are small 4-port PoE switches, and cutting cable could have caused electrical damage to PoE connected devices
So, even if switches not PoE powered, I'd still be inclined to do some through checking/testing of the switch (single port if AC wall wart powered) or entire device if PoE powered switch (ie switch and downstream devices all powered by upstream PoE port)

But you said you replaced switch and PoE injector. I hope you got a PoE switch instead... wait, the gs108pp switch is already PoE... why also using an injector????

both switches are the same they are rated for 130 watts total or 30 watts max each port.
if I try to run the speed dome on the switch alone when it tries to move quickly at night with the ir lights on it dims the lights or stop moving all together which is why I use the same POE injector that came with the speed dome

And here you lost me

my friend had this cable test
As for cable length... depends on the tester... reliable modern testers are really expensive... (I have a 25+ yr old model, current CAT6+ versions are well over US$1K...) you could be simply dealing with a flaky reading, for whatever reason.
And, was cable from house to driveway switch damaged? not to my knowledge it just appears as too long

or only cable from switch to camera? and as asked above, 1 cable, or cables to all 4 cameras? the cable that was cut runs from the switch to the speed dome
And if I gather correctly that the CAT6 cable cut was from driveway switch to camera, why did you replace the switch & PoE injector at all?

because all four cameras on that switch stopped working, I tried rebooting and connecting one camera at a time. nothing worked on that switch till I changed it to an exact same model switch I have as a spare

I'm a big fan of K.IS.S. I'd take other driveway switch (known currently working) and plug into the place on the other side (the switch you replaced?) And then run temp patch cable over to same camera that switch connected to (ie other side of driveway). Does that work? if yes, the cable from house to that location is probably fine, right? There is some other testing I'd do, but that's because I have managed PoE switches...
I used a new cable across the driveway to the other working switch and tied each camera by itself and it worked, than I used a new switch and all 4 worked. I guess I need to pull all the cables out and pull new ones in but it is a PIA to do by myself

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.