Weird Tracking Issues with SD5A225XA-HNR

Reaction score
I just installed this camera and I've been experiencing some very odd tracking issues. I have a very simple IVS rule with one intrusion box.

As soon as the IVS rule is triggered with the subject to be tracked the camera moves to center on the subject but overshoots it into a random direction loosing the lock. This is before the camera even begins to zoom in. Occasionally it will reacquire the tracked object prior to returning to the preset and if that occurs the tracking is smooth. It's the initial engagement of the tracked subject that is having an issue. Any thoughts or insight?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It comes down to your settings. Can you post a picture of your field of view with IVS rules turned on and settings along with a video clip of the issue?

Do you have an SD card in the camera that you can playback with IVS rules on and see what it decides to focus on?

First, it is a matter of getting the brightness/contrast and target ratio settings correct.

You need to adjust gamma and the others as well.

Ideally for an intrusion box or tripwires, you should have the initial field of view be such that the camera doesn't have to initially pan too much up/down or left/right to get the object in the center of the screen to start tracking. The closer the object is to the center of the image, the better the chance that it will track correctly. An entire Field of View intrusion box can cause it to latch on to the wrong item, as can a tripwire to far on the left or right. This is probably what you are experiencing.

I always knew that you shouldn't chase a bright picture - it looks nice and people migrate towards a brighter TV for example, but upon closer examination, most images need to be toned down in order to get all the details. You will be surprised how much changing a parameter like gamma could impact tracking. For example, if you have a pesky tree or something in the middle of the view during an autotrack, just by changing some image parameters you can get autotrack to pass it. Making the image a little darker at night actually helped with tracking someone across the street, which was opposite of what I thought you would think to do. So add some contrast to your image and see if it improves.

I have a yard lamp post that more times than not autotrack would get stuck on it as someone was walking and the autotrack would only go so far. Because my image has soo much contrast (bright white concrete a third, blacktop road a third, grass a third), knocking down the gamma made the lamp post not be so "trackable" lol, and along with that I turned of PFA and that gave it just enough time to retrack the person walking past the lamp post. The camera may still autotrack the lamp post when a small kid goes by, but an adult it is autotracking past the lamp post. Most see better results if the contrast number is 8-10 higher than the brightness number.

Sometimes the initial track will wonder off to nowhere. The reason it starts looking upward or left or right is usually because the intrusion box is too big or the tripwire isn't close to the center so the camera identifies the object before it is in the center of the field of view and then sometimes something else matches the "algorithm signature" of the initial object and then starts trying to track something that isn't there. Adjusting the field of view and the locations of the IVS rules to be closer to the center can fix that.

Autotracking PTZs are great, but they have limitations like everything else. Installed in a wrong location or using default/auto settings or with fields of view that do not give it a chance will be problematic.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Gamma is way too high. I think brightness could come down as well.

Match i frame interval to FPS.

That truck is at the top of the field of view, so that can always be an issue. Then the shade with the bright concrete and sun bouncing off the bed cover of the truck all contribute to it initially wanting to track a piece of pavement.

Any chance you can zoom in more and/or pan the camera up? Do you need all the grass in the view at the bottom? I think if you raised it until the field of view starts at the wall between the grass and the lot and then tighten up the IVS rule so that the object are more in the center will help tremendously.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Weird - did you post the video the same way you did the first one? It is all blank for me?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is weird that it still starts a track up.

In the PTZ setting is a pan limiter that you could force it to not go above a certain height and that may prevent that initial move up, but it also will limit the movement of the PTZ when you are moving it around.

What is the focus set to - semi or auto? What about PFA?

Try the different combos of those and see if it helps with the focus. Every field of view is different. I have a PTZ on the front and left of the house and one needs PFA on and the other PFA off.

Reaction score
Been messing with those settings without success, could it be a bad PTZ or firmware?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes these things can take a long time to dial in.

I don't think it is a bad PTZ as that is the typical behavior when the camera is trying to start tracking something that is not close to the center of the frame. In both your examples, the first one is at the top of the field of view and in the 2nd one it is on the left of the field of view. Fortunately it does pick it back up and track - I have seen many instances here where it spins off into lala land.

And then the problem could be compounded by the amount of shade and bright sun on pavement at that hour.

You could try a factory reset and see if that shakes out any cobwebs in the firmware, but I think it is just a matter of taking the the time to dial it in. Mine was months before I was happy with the performance.