WeMo Devices - Cheap way to remotely reboot / turn on and off PC

Discussion in 'Home Automation' started by Mike, Mar 9, 2014.

Share This Page

1. SSNapier

SSNapier Young grasshopper

I have several Wemo devices at my house. I use the light switch on the stairwell light that leads to my bedroom. I also have the "plug" switches on my fish tanks to cycle the lights on and off. They are scheduled to go on and off in time with sunrise and sunset. It is PERFECT for this application. I also have a few of the lightbulbs and they are fine... I mean what can you really say about a light bulb? The dimmer is nice I guess!

2. Abbell

Abbell Getting the hang of it

Few tricks I use on my network. Magic packet sender will wake up a computer that is shutdown.
    I you are logged into a computer and only have the logoff option. Goto CMD and type "shutdown /r" and it will reboot. If you want it to reboot NOW just type "shutdown /r /t 0"

fbnoise likes this.
  3. afddwfadwfadwf

afddwfadwfadwf Young grasshopper

Where are IP based power control device for under $50? Plenty of switched PDUs out there but I don't want to pay that much for just 1 port...

4. AlpineWatch

AlpineWatch Getting the hang of it

I use this for under $10 shipped to remotely turn a PC off and back on that collects data from my weather station and pushes data to Weather Underground.
    https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html
    App on my iphone to turn something one and off. Can be configured to turn on the output when power is applied. Works well.

5. Plasman

Plasman Young grasshopper

6. AlpineWatch

AlpineWatch Getting the hang of it

I can only reply about the Sonoff device and for that one I did NOT have to do any port forwarding.