western digital hd purple scrapped?

superpatpat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hello everyone, I have a dahua nvr with a western digital purple 2TB hard drive it's only 14 months old and the nvr no longer detects my hard drive is there a solution or my drive is scrapped?

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Put the drive in your PC to see if it can be read. If not then it maybe toast. But the Purple drives have a 3 year warranty.
I would think that since the NVR is running a Linux variant and therefore is formatted with one of the Linux formats. If you are running Windows Subsystem for Linux then you should be able to see the format, or you can boot up with a live distro of Linux to check the drive.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If your pc can see it, you could try a total format (overwrite). Always a slight possibility the reserved proportions of the drive that contain the formatting have become corrupt.

Also, if your pc can see it, you could try using Western Digital's Drive tools to read the SMART information and check for corruption and failed areas. Some of the more thorough write / read checks may involve over writing the hard drive.