What’s in your garage ?

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What cam are you using in your garage? Garage in house we are building is 30’ x 40’ give or take. 1’16’ door and a 9’ door. One entry point into the house from garage. I’m thinking 1 cam at the entry facing towards the garage doors and the 2nd in the far corner facing the entry door to catch a perp entering the garage from inside. I’m thinking turret or maybe PTZ but vari focal for sure if a turret. So with that, what are y’all using ?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision 2.8mm turret that I moved from a different place to my 2 car garage. I don't think a 4mm would work well in my garage, 2.8 covers better. It views most of the garage and is pointed toward the garage door. You could get a vari-focal to tweak to the exact focal length you need.

KPtexan

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua IPC-HDW4433C-A 2.8mm is in my garage. Hard to beat for $55 - just make sure to isolate your network.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Hikvision DS-2CD2343G0-I 4MP turret with a 2.8mm lens.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
LTS Cube Camera for Blue Iris and a Nest Camera that lets me know when the wife comes home so I can help carry the groceries in (or else I am in trouble).

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a slightly smaller garage: about 25x35. Three single doors at front, at back wall on one side is a door to main level of house (up a couple steps), and below that via stairway is a door to basement.
My camera is at back wall at opposite side from the two doors.
It is a Dahua Mini PTZ SDA1A203T-GN.
I am happy with it, and the ability to PTZ is nice.
Some images attached.
The only issue is some storage cabinets block some of the view towards the door, as you can see...but you can see people as they approach the steps up/stairway down.
View media item 256View media item 255View media item 254

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks much. What height are cams mounted at? I need 2 cams as well.

strathglass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Used a mount I got with camera from Andy, but long story short it wasn’t actually for this exact camera, so I had to do a bit of jury-rigging:
Ask Andy if he has one made for this specific model, assuming you go for same choice.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have an amcrest PTZ that was $59 on Amazon. Placed it nearly dead center in the middle. I have Home Assistant sending preset calls to it based on what door opens. So when the front door opens the camera pans to that door.

I’ll probably put a couple verifocal cameras in opposite corners to have full overview coverage. Mine is only about a 24x24 garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My garage is a similar slightly larger size. I use an American Dynamics Illustration 825 model 5mp fisheye with internal de-warping right in the middle on the ceiling. It covers the entire area with the fisheye view and allows for 4 additional de-warped views. It's like 5 cameras in one and covers all entry points. Each view feeds separately to Bi. It does not have IR but the garage lights are motion activated anyway so it works well. These were not cheap when new but I picked them up used very reasonably on ebay. 5mp sounds like a lot but for a fisheye, full screen images are less detailed than a regular 2mp camera but more than enough to ID someone...as long as they don't have a hoodie on of course since it is ceiling view. So I also use a 5321 turret zoomed closer to the rear and house enry door. Works for me.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
th182, that is a great idea. I have the same camera and I have two Schlage Connect locks, Liftmaster 8500 garage door and sensors, at all of my doors. I will have to do it that way as well. Thanks for the idea. I'm with Smartthings though.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
th182, that is a great idea. I have the same camera and I have two Schlage Connect locks, Liftmaster 8500 garage door and sensors, at all of my doors. I will have to do it that way as well. Thanks for the idea. I'm with Smartthings though.
Welcome! I want to fine tune it somehow to give priority to certain doors. i.e. it’s more important to me to watch the front door than the back if both are open. I just haven’t revisited it since my initial setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk