What are the excluded Dahua password characters? Camera reset.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Posting to hopefully help others, and a question.

Camera: Dahua 4MP Turret IPC-T5442TM-AS from Empiretechandy.

I'm setting up my first Dahua camera. I have several Hikvision cameras. It's been a bit of a struggle, but it always is with non-intuitive products.

I think I messed up the password. :(

When setting the password, the message regarding excluded characters is almost impossible to read, and there is no mention of excluded characters in the instructions that came with the camera. I probably used illegal characters or didn't conform to the requirements somewhere along the line.

Dahua seems to not reject entries that do not conform. It seems to be very easy to mess it up. I must have gotten some of it right along the way as I was able to change the IP address. But somewhere it went south and the camera kept showing an exclamation point. I was no longer able to change anything. My initial password might have conformed, but after I tried to change it, I was no longer able to modify any settings.

This is a screen capture from the ToolBox menu with a note about excluded characters. It's so small I can't figure out what all of the excluded characters are. I think I can make out : ; and &.
1583024145035.png

Resetting the camera: I noticed the "door" on the camera secured by 2 screws, it's imprinted with "RESET". I removed the screws. The inside did not look like the image in the instructions. The instructions show a round hole/button below the "T" shaped recess, but it's not there on my camera. However there is a button in the "T" shaped recess, this is the reset button. Had to get out my magnifying glass to see it. :)
1583025891502.png

Now that I know how to reset the camera, I'll have another go, or two, or three at setting it up. :)

I'm posting this with the intent to help others.

Question:
What is the full list of excluded (illegal) characters?

Thanks in advance.