What Are They Doing

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
In the UK and not that big of an exercise but I had something similar done outside my house and when I asked they said they were looking or detecting any potential water movement/flow ie checking for leaks.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My not-so-important vote is for something environmental, looking for contaminants in an aquifer, maybe a nearby gas station recently had an underground tank or line issue.

Maybe they're in the street for 1 of 2 reasons: 1) that's the best location to locate the aquifer or 2) it's easier/quicker to get a municipal permit for the roadway and/or right-of-way than seek to obtain an encroachment permit on private property.

@robpur , did you see latex color spray paint markings on the pavement where local utilities (water, power, gas, sewer, telephone, etc.) have marked their underground stuff at least 48 hours prior to them drilling? It's a state law in most states, sure is in nearby CA, with stiff fines and penalties for non-compliance.

Reaction score
My not-so-important vote is for something environmental, looking for contaminants in an aquifer, maybe a nearby gas station recently had an underground tank or line issue.
That's my not-so-important vote too. This almost certainly the purpose of drilling a well in that location.

When we use the word aquifer in this case we are talking about a surficial aquifer or unconfined aquifer:
If there is a confined aquifer in this location, permission would never be given to penetrate the confining bed, because any containment spill - like an accident with a tanker transporting gasoline -
would have a straight conduit into the confined aquifer. In fact, the states of Florida, Texas, and California have spent millions on wellhead protection and plugging legacy wells that penetrate
some of the world's most import confined aquifers: The Floridan Aquifer, The Edwards Aquifer, and The Great Valley Basin Aquifer.

Lastly, and I will shut up, soil sampling is almost always done with an auger which brings the soil up out of the bore at a knowable depth. And since one of things you usually
want to consider with a soil sample is pH, it would be counterproductive to add the aqueous drilling mud you see in the video, which is typically mildly caustic (sometimes highly acidic).

And again, since this is all speculation on my part, I will close my piehole. Excellent discussion though!

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can't think of a good reason to drill through a street to measure or monitor any of them. (I am frequently wrong, however :lol: :rofl::rofl: - just ask my wife...)

@robpur, you might just call Holt and ask them about the drilling at that location: Drilling Done Right on the West Coast | Holt Services, Inc.
Perhaps Holt didn't get that memo since they have moved on from my place and last night they drilled through the paved shoulder of the highway about 150 to 200 feet from the first hole, and they are working in the area again tonight.

I believe that as you and others have suggested that they are likely doing a geological survey, but I don't yet know the specific reason.

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@robpur , did you see latex color spray paint markings on the pavement where local utilities (water, power, gas, sewer, telephone, etc.) have marked their underground stuff at least 48 hours prior to them drilling? It's a state law in most states, sure is in nearby CA, with stiff fines and penalties for non-compliance.
There's paint on the ground all over the place. It started showing up a couple of months ago. There has also been surveyors around since spring. They have been working for miles in both directions on the highway.

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I found out that the wells being drilled in my area are to monitor the watershed health. They will monitor water levels and flow rates as well as contaminants. The data is being used for watershed planning and restoration. It is part of the Clean Water Act and general restoration of the area. They have also been replacing culverts in the area that run under the highway to help restore fish migrations.

The area where I live was abused in the past by the logging industry and other businesses, which caused flooding and environmental damage. Over the last 25 years or so I have seen a lot of improvements due to restoration projects. The wells and the culvert replacements are just another step toward better health of the area.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found out that the wells being drilled in my area are to monitor the watershed health. They will monitor water levels and flow rates as well as contaminants.
That's pretty much what I surmised in my first post....after living in Silicon Valley for 29 years I saw my share of such activity, and as a member of Underground Service Alert I responded dozens of times to use a locator and spray paint to mark underground traffic signal and street lighting conductors belonging to city or county.

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You do realize that this is how it always starts, right?
Sure, I know. They drill holes, drop their eggs in, and then the eggs become large, orange and barrel shaped pods that rise to the surface. The pods hatch to reveal pod people with brightly colored reflective vests that drill more holes and deposit more eggs to keep the cycle going. When the population of pod people becomes too large in an area some of the pod people are transported to a new location in trucks with flashing lights to form a new colony. Sometimes new colonies, especially when being relocated to an area with underground tunnels, become C.H.U.D.

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sure, I know. They drill holes, drop their eggs in, and then the eggs become large, orange and barrel shaped pods that rise to the surface. The pods hatch to reveal pod people with brightly colored reflective vests that drill more holes and deposit more eggs to keep the cycle going. When the population of pod people becomes too large in an area some of the pod people are transported to a new location in trucks with flashing lights to form a new colony. Sometimes new colonies, especially when being relocated to an area with underground tunnels, become C.H.U.D.
holy shit
i havent heard a chud reference in years
an old band mate from the 80's was a huge fan of that movie
he was always quoting it
he died about 3 years ago, so this made me smile