What brand to choose?

Reaction score
Shopping for security for clubhouse, swim pool, tennis court. Price differences aside. would you chose Dahua, Hikvision or Eclipse?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Brand name is not important. For example, we recommend Dahua cameras a lot on this forum but there are some terrible Dahua cameras that we would never recommend. So recommending "Dahua" isn't something we do. What is important are the actual specs of the camera you are considering and your specific use case. Long story short, we don't have enough information to even start to give you recommendations.

EDIT - I will say that the couple of Eclipse cameras that I looked at all had a terrible "sensor size to resolution" ratio. Meaning I didn't see a single camera (out of the 8-10 different models that I looked at) that I would expect to have adequate low/no light performance. Their web site (IP Products & Solutions) is also pretty bad. They don't seem to understand the difference between a "dome" camera and a "turret" camera and they have at least one camera listed as "available in May 2022". None of that gives me any confidence in the company, so I can confidently say that I would never buy a camera from that brand, nor would I recommend them to anyone that I knew.

Last edited:

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You didn't write anything about places where it will installed and requirements..

Here on the forum we mostly recommends Dahua cameras or OEM equivalents.
Most popular line here is Dahua 5442 (aka 54IR), in latest -S3 version.
It offers great 4Mpx day & night color image quality due big high-end 1/1.8" image sensor, lots of AI modes (IVS with human/cars/animals detections, AcuPick 2.0, people counting etc), lots of options of lens (3 fixed, 2 zoomed), chassis (bullet/turret/dome) and colors (white/black).

Full line of models:

Most popular variants are available from OEM partner in good prices:

Look especially at -ZE variants - they are varifocals - it means they have optical zoom 1-3x...

As NVR, in configurations up to 32 cam best are models from 5xxx-EI line:

Also available from EmpireTech, look for all models which end with AI