What brand to choose?

Reaction score
Shopping for security for clubhouse, swim pool, tennis court. Price differences aside. would you chose Dahua, Hikvision or Eclipse?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Brand name is not important. For example, we recommend Dahua cameras a lot on this forum but there are some terrible Dahua cameras that we would never recommend. So recommending "Dahua" isn't something we do. What is important are the actual specs of the camera you are considering and your specific use case. Long story short, we don't have enough information to even start to give you recommendations.

EDIT - I will say that the couple of Eclipse cameras that I looked at all had a terrible "sensor size to resolution" ratio. Meaning I didn't see a single camera (out of the 8-10 different models that I looked at) that I would expect to have adequate low/no light performance. Their web site (IP Products & Solutions) is also pretty bad. They don't seem to understand the difference between a "dome" camera and a "turret" camera and they have at least one camera listed as "available in May 2022". None of that gives me any confidence in the company, so I can confidently say that I would never buy a camera from that brand, nor would I recommend them to anyone that I knew.

Last edited:

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You didn't write anything about places where it will installed and requirements..

Here on the forum we mostly recommends Dahua cameras or OEM equivalents.
Most popular line here is Dahua 5442 (aka 54IR), in latest -S3 version.
It offers great 4Mpx day & night color image quality due big high-end 1/1.8" image sensor, lots of AI modes (IVS with human/cars/animals detections, AcuPick 2.0, people counting etc), lots of options of lens (3 fixed, 2 zoomed), chassis (bullet/turret/dome) and colors (white/black).

Full line of models:

Most popular variants are available from OEM partner in good prices:

Look especially at -ZE variants - they are varifocals - it means they have optical zoom 1-3x...

As NVR, in configurations up to 32 cam best are models from 5xxx-EI line:

Also available from EmpireTech, look for all models which end with AI

ZXCVBN

n3wb
Reaction score
Are there any recommended cameras that are NOT Dahua/EmpireTech? I'm trying to find an installer for my home, and they all seem to use junk (e.g., Digital Watchdog).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are there any recommended cameras that are NOT Dahua/EmpireTech? I'm trying to find an installer for my home, and they all seem to use junk (e.g., Digital Watchdog).

What most people have found here is that installers LOVE to install cheap junk and charge a premium for it. And most simply run the cables and hang the cameras up and do nothing with dialing in the cameras to the field of view and they simply leave the cameras on auto/default settings, which will be useless for IDENTIFY at night.

You would be better off to find an installer that would run the low-volt wiring and hang up the cameras you purchase.

Here is just a sampling of people that came here after being burned by a "professional" that provided them with the wrong system or a ridiculously high quote for cheap cameras and they replaced the installer provided cameras with EmpireTech cameras based on our free suggestions and then started capturing what they wanted:

Human / Face detection

Storage Expansion - X54A5L

Got an installer quote - recommending Lorex

Eyeonet, anyone?

Camera upgrade.

Help newb here with a messed install looking for help.

Has anyone heard of Eclipse Cams/NVR?

Dahua TIOC camera does not recognize the IVS rule at night, original support is at a loss...

The reason Dahua/Empiretech is the most commonly recommended cameras is because Dahua represents the best overall value and performance. Hikvision is another recommended brand here but most do not like their userface and a lot of their cameras are not on ideal MP/sensor ratios and tend to be a little more expensive.

Axis would be a premium camera, but bring your wallet. An Axis camera starts around $1,000 compared to the $140ish we are recommending...and most of us don't feel 9-10 times the cost isn't providing 9-10 times better performance.

Also keep in mind that outside of the consumer grade stuff like Ring and Arlo and Nest, and Blink and Reolink, Dahua and Hikvision make the cameras for probably the majority of other cameras out there and some of them are more expensive with lessor quality as they provide 1-800 customer support numbers that Dahua and Hikvision do not to the end user...

Here is just a sampling that totally is not everyone (for example EmpireTech isn't shown LOL):

1720102220842.png 1720102248545.png