What cable for this camera situation ( partial aerial run)?

car_wash_guy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a camera going in at the entrance to one of my properties. Total cable length is ~ 300'.

My issue is I need to run part of it aerially from my building, across the parking lot, to a light pole. Then down the pole and buried to the camera.

I was thinking either Shireen or Ubiquiti Toughcable Pro. I was thinking about running a soft 14g steel ( in case someone hits but it's more than 20' high) wire as the support from building to pole and zip tying the cat cable to it.
Do you guys think I can do it this way or do I need messenger/aerial cable?

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that sounds fine, but plastic zip ties are unlikely to last the long haul unless you use aluminum ones.. use shielded ends on the cables and ground everything correctly.

car_wash_guy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks nayr. I just need to decide if I should run it this way ( more involved since I'll have to bury it and set up the suspension system and run conduit down the light pole) or just sacrifice my small illuminated entrance sign ( It's only ~ 5' from my camera location) and use it's conduit to run my cat6 and just have the small sign unpowered.

What do you think?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
could you power your entrance sign off DC voltage, or re-wire it so it does?

car_wash_guy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No go on using the conduit to the sign. It has wires for my pole lights un there too.

What about seeing up a wireless bridge? I'd be looking at a 150' distance from cam to building. This is the way the old cam was set up but, granted the cam/system was almost 10 years old, I felt the pic quality was horrendous.

car_wash_guy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That Shireen cable is tough stuff for sure: A+ imo.
Yes - I might have gotten the idea from one of your posts. I remember searching and a member here had stated he had done multiple 400+' runs with no issues. I think he also said he used the Shireen for all his runs. Was that you?

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you have uninterrupted line of sight and use directional antennas, I'd also use 5GHz to avoid interference from normal appliances and stuff.. but it can be, and has been done successfully with Ubiquiti's gear.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep, those will work quite well infact.. Ive setup several P2P links with those.

however be weary, Ubiquiti PoE is pripotary 24vdc and not standard PoE that your camera will want.. plan accordingly.

car_wash_guy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK. Thanks for the info. I think I'm leaning back to my original plan - running the aerial drop. Mainly because I think I'm going to run 2 lines for 2 separate cameras out there. One a dedicated LPC cam, and the other for general surveillance of the location.