What camera models do you want added to the IPVM Calculator?

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
I see a number of you use and cite the IPVM Camera Calculator.

To help you use it / use it more, we'd like to add in any camera models you are using. We already have ~50 manufacturers and 4,000+ models but there are certainly many we have not yet added.

What camera models / manufacturers would you like to see added? We can add them in quickly and using those models is all free / public.

Let me know (and if this topic is not allowed, please remove with my apologies).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I see you have Hikvision and Dahua well-covered. There are a few small Chinese brands with a following on this forum. Longse and Huisun. May be something to consider if you are trying to cater to ipcamtalk users specifically.

I have to ask, why does your calculator page override the default functionality of CTRL + F? First thing I did was click "Select Camera" and press CTRL + F to start typing Hikvision, but it changed views on me.

One other thing. When navigating the Hikvision cameras, I noticed there are choices of FOV but it doesn't say which resolution/lens combinations create those FOVs.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

Both companies make sense. We already tried Longse but we had 2 problems: (1) They seem to have a near infinite number of models with various combinations of sensors / chips so was not sure which ones were most common / needed. (2) The other issue, and this seems to be the same with Huison, is that they do not appear to list the AoV of the camera. We can, of course, estimate using the focal length and imager size but, as many here have pointed out, that's not always what the manufacturer delivers.

If anyone has feedback on that, let me know. We would like to add Huisun and Longse cameras.

As for searching the page, this worked for me on Chrome / Mac. What are you using? Either way, you can free search / find any results by typing any letters or numbers into the text input field above the models.

As for Hikvision, there are a few Hikvision cameras that come with multiple AoV options, we show the AoV but we do not show the focal length. We'll add that in.

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like you IPVM already includes Dahua, but not the specific model that I'm wanting. How do I make a formal request for this?
The model is the IPC-HDW5231R-Z

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
John, a second camera model that I believe I'll be using that I don't see either is the:
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS

Could you also please add this model too?

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks again, John! Those two cams appear to be pretty popular on these forums so I'm actually surprised that this hadn't come up before now. This will certainly benefit others using IPVM!

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
@ck42, thanks. If there are others you want, let us know.
Btw, as background, we have someone adding new cameras every week - we cycle through Axis, Avigilon, Dahua, Hikvision, and many others looking to add new cameras. Dahua and Hikvision are tougher since they have so many models and often variants that are only sold in some parts of the world but we are definitely committed to adding in any and all of their models. Again, if any are missing, just let us know and we'll add immediately.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I see a number of you use and cite the IPVM Camera Calculator.
To help you use it / use it more, we'd like to add in any camera models you are using. We already have ~50 manufacturers and 4,000+ models but there are certainly many we have not yet added.
What camera models / manufacturers would you like to see added? We can add them in quickly and using those models is all free / public.
let me know (and if this topic is not allowed, please remove with my apologies).
Please add IPC-HFW5231E-Z12

IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

Thanks

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@john-ipvm I second the request to fix the calculator;

Also, please note that the PPF calculations for 1/2.8" sensors on the IPVM.com/calculator are broken and have been for a while. You are better off to use the calculations for 1/2.7" sensors when you want the ones for 1/2.8".

To see for yourself, put in the numbers for any cam/lens and then step the imager size down from 1/3", 1/2.8", 1/2.7", 1/2.5". Notice anything funny about the PPF numbers and the FOV for 1/2.8"? They're way off. More like 1/2" numbers. If you step from 1/2.5" to 1/2.7" you "zoom in" a bit. The same should happen when you step from 1/2.7" to 1/2.8" but you don't. You zoom way out.

I reported this glitch to @john-ipvm a number of times a year or more ago with no acknowledgement and it hasn't been fixed so you'll have to continue using the workaround.

You'd think that with the 1/2.8" sensor size becoming very popular that it would be embarrassing to 1) not notice it in-house, and 2) not fix it or even acknowledge when users report that it's broken. I can't be the only one that's noticed and reported this.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's a couple to add when you have the time: IPC-HDW5231R-ZE & IPC-HDW4830EM-AS